[Politech] BlackBoxVoting.org shut down by legal nastygram from Diebold

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 15:11:37 PDT

    Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:00:53 -0400
    To: declan@private
    From: Glenn Hauman <Glenn.Hauman@private>
    Subject: BlackBoxVoting shut down by legal threat

    In case you missed it:

    http://www.dailykos.com/archives/004289.html#004289

    Diebold feels the heat. Sends out attack lawyers

    Blackbox Voting.org is Bev Harris' site exposing the security
    vulnerabilities of the Diebold voting machines.

    As of 8:46 p.m. PST, the site has been pulled, with the following message:

         Due to a dispute with Diebold, Incorporated, and its wholly owned
    subsidiary Diebold Election Systems, Inc. (collectively "Diebold"), which
    is claiming links to certain materials that do not reside on the
    blackboxvoting.org website constitute  copyright infringement,
    blackboxvoting.org has been temporarily disabled.

         We regret any inconvenience this may cause visitors and journalists to
    the blackboxvoting.org site and hope to have this matter resolved shortly.

         In the interim, send questions or information requests to
    admin@private

    And do you want irony, with a capital "I", in a way that only a company run
    by a committed Bush fundraiser could manage?

    Check out the Diebold corporate site. At the top of the page, in a flash
    animation, we get the following message:

         The Constitution protects our democracy.
         We protect the Constitution.

         The Bill of Rights protects our freedoms.
         We protect the Bill of Rights.

         The Declaration of Independence secured our freedoms.
         We secure the Declaration of Independence.

    Well, except for that pesky First Amendment.
    --

    Best-- Glenn Hauman, LotAuctions
            http://www.lotauctions.com