[Politech] India bans Yahoo Groups site critical of government [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 22:28:37 PDT

    Apparently the censorship order applied to only one Yahoo Groups list but
    some ISPs blocked the entire Yahoo Groups website. Some reportedly may have
    narrowed the block since then. Politech subscribers have pointed me to
    these useful discussions on a local mailing list (thanks, folks):

    https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/india-gii/2003-September/005110.html
    Dishnet
    has blocked access to groups.yahoo.com since
    13th September 2003 and on further enquiries tell me
    that it is because Govt. of India has sent them a
    directive to block specific Yahoo! Groups and since
    Dishnet doesn't know how to do that, it has blocked
    access to the entire URL http://groups.yahoo.com/

    https://ssl.cpsr.org/pipermail/india-gii/2003-September/005116.html
    I saw it a couple of days ago. I've asked for a scanned copy, which I
    will hopefully be able to make available to the list.
    The group in question is a list of some Indonesian anti-Indonesian
    government group.

    See also this coverage:
    http://www.rediff.com/netguide/2003/sep/23yahoo.htm