[Politech] Google is telling frequent visitors how many searches they do

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 06:30:15 PDT

    [As described, it seems pretty innocuous to me. --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:56:27 -0700
    From: "Da'ud X Mohammed" <webmaster@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Search Engine Users, Google Is Watching

    Hullo Declan,

    Maybe we could get some Politech feedback on this one:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/06/technology/06goog.html?ex=1066017600&en=6b48de61370e996b&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

    Frequent Search Engine Users, Google Is Watching and Counting
    By LISA NAPOLI - New York Times

    Most Google users do not have it, but a select few now have a no-frills
    counter that with each search clicks higher, noting "You have done 479
    searches," or whatever the actual number.

    What is going on here? Google, which processes about 200 million search
    requests a day at no cost to users, said the counter had been placed on the
    hard drives of fewer than 1 percent of its users.

    Requires registration.

    Thanks

    With peace

    dxm