[Politech] European Union moves toward Dutch Internet-tapping plan [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 23:25:46 PDT

    Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:15:03 +0200 (MET DST)
    From: Paul Wouters <paul@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Dutch tapping spec goes EU

    Hi Declan,

    It seems that ETSI is about to more or less adopt the Dutch tapping
    specification for IP traffic:

    tp://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11946

    European Union chooses Dutch to tap IP wires

    [ ... ]

    The Dutch started codifying standards in the late '90s that evolved
    into the TIIT specifications, a nice tidy package likely to be adapted
    by the ETSI.

    [ ... ]

    The spec leaked out years ago, and can be downloaded from OpenTap at:

    http://www.opentap.org/documents/TIIT-v1.0.0.pdf    (protocol)
    http://www.opentap.org/documents/101WAI-GT-FuncspecV1.0.1.doc (operations)

    I've critized parts of these documents on various occasions, including on this
    list  http://lists.jammed.com/politech/2003/04/0050.html and at the CCC
    conference a few years ago: http://www.opentap.org/ccc/

    I have been afraid of the dangers of "Black box tapping" in the past. But now
    that not one, but many nations, who often like to tap each other, are going to
    use this same form of black box tapping, it becomes more important then ever
    to have a tapping system that is accountable and verifiably secure. It is also
    time that the cryptographic hashes transmitted to the lawful interception
    agencies are not just used to verify the transmission, but that the ISP is
    also capable and allowed to store and sign these hashes so that the
    interception
    agencies themselves can be hold accountable, and any potejtial tampering with
    evidense by the LEA's become impossible.

    People interested in assisting the funding of the opensource version of
    this EU wide tapping protocol are strongly encouraged to contact me.

    Paul Wouters