[Politech] Event: GWU law review on surveillance, Patriot Act (10/23) [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 06:22:05 PDT

    Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:53:59 -0400
    From: "Amanda R. Johnson" <ajohnson@private>
    To: <declan@private>

    Mr. McCullagh,

    I am with The George Washington Law Review and was given your name by
    Professor Orin Kerr.  I am writing to ask you make a posting on your
    politech list regarding a symposium that we are hosting on October 23,
    entitled "The Future of Internet Surveillance Law."

    I have attached a brochure regarding the event and would be more than happy
    to answer any questions that you might have.  We are truly hoping to have
    an impact on this area of the law and I would greatly appreciate any
    publicity that you could offer.  Please feel fre to contact me for further
    information or to register for the event yourself.

    Thank you,

    Amanda Johnson
    Senior Projects Editor
    The George Washington Law Review

    ---

    Hosted by The George Washington Law Review

    The Future of Internet Surveillance Law

    A SYMPOSIUM TO DISCUSS
    INTERNET SURVEILLANCE, PRIVACY &
    USA PATRIOT ACT

    Thursday, October 23, 2003

    The George Washington University Law School invites you to join a
    distinguished group of leading scholars and practitioners to discuss what
    Congress should do with the statutory laws that govern internet
    surveillance, such as the Wiretap Act, the Electronic Communications
    Privacy Act, and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

    Congressional debate over internet surveillance laws has been hindered by a
    surprising lack of legal scholarship, which could help Congress as it
    considers various reform initiatives. As the events of September 11, 2001
    and the passage of the USA Patriot Act demonstrate, Internet surveillance
    law is very important, but also quite poorly understood. Our hope is that
    the papers presented at our symposium will have both a practical importance
    for Congress and a theoretical importance for legal scholarship. The topic
    is particularly timely because many of the surveillance provisions of the
    Patriot Act will "sunset" in December 2005 and Congress will be looking for
    advice on how to proceed in the future. We would be delighted if the papers
    presented at our symposium prove helpful.

                                           Schedule of Events
                            Thursday, October 23, 2003

    All events will be held at The George Washington University Law School,
    located at 2000 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20052

    8:15 a.m.   Breakfast & Check-in
                 Location: North Entrance, First Floor

    8:45 a.m.   Welcome Address
             Dean Michael K. Young, The George Washington University Law School
                     Location: Jacobs Burns Moot Court Room, First Floor

    9:00 a.m.   Panel I: Surveillance, Records, & Computers
    Jim Dempsey, Executive Director, Center for Democracy and
    Technology        Deidre Mulligan, School of Law, University of California,
    Berkeley**
    Clifford Fishman, Columbus School of Law, The Catholic
    University of America
    Paul Ohm, Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section,
    United States Department of Justice
    Patricia L. Bellia, University of Notre Dame Law School
    Moderator: Daniel J. Solove, The George Washington University Law School
           Location: Jacob Burns Moot Court Room, First Floor

    11:30 a.m.  Luncheon
    Location: Faculty Conference Center, Fifth Floor

    12:45 p.m.   Panel II: Surveillance Law: Reshaping the
      Framework
    Orin S. Kerr, The George Washington University Law School**
    Daniel J. Solove, The George Washington University Law School
    Beryl A. Howell, Former Chief Counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee
    Peter Swire, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University
    Paul M. Schwartz, Brooklyn School of Law
    Moderator: Ellen S. Podgor, Georgia State University College of Law
                     Location: Faculty Conference Center, Fifth Floor

    3:15 p.m.  Closing Remarks
    Location: Faculty Conference Center, Fifth Floor

    4:00 p.m.  Reception
    Location: GW University Club, 1918 F Street, N.W.

    ** Due to prior commitments, these authors may be unable to present their
    articles. However, all of the papers will be discussed at the symposium,
    and all will appear in the symposium issue of the Law Review.

                               Registration Form

    The Future of Internet Surveillance Law

                                       Thursday, October 23, 2003

    To RSVP for the symposium, please send the following information to Amanda
    Johnson via email at ajohnson@private:

    State:               _________                              Zip