[Politech] DOJ defends Patriot Act, starts to attack members of Congress [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 06:32:25 PDT

    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE						   	                         OPA
    WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 15,
    2003
    (202) 514-2007
    WWW.USDOJ.GOV					                                   		TDD (202) 514-1888

    STATEMENT OF MARK CORALLO, DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS,
    ON THE USA PATRIOT ACT:

    "The PATRIOT Act has been one of the most important tools the Congress
    provided to law enforcement to prevent terrorist attacks.  After six weeks
    of intense scrutiny, negotiation, and debate, the Congress passed the Act
    by overwhelmingly bipartisan margins in both the House of Representatives
    and Senate.  In fact, the reason the Act passed by 98-1 in the Senate and
    357-66 in the House was largely due to the fact that Congress understood
    that this important legislation would respect civil liberties while
    protecting the lives of the American people from terrorism.  As Senator
    Schumer said during the debate of the Act, 'If there is one key word that
    underscores this bill, it is "balance." . . . The balance between the need
    to update our laws given the new challenges and the need to maintain our
    basic freedoms which distinguish us from our enemies is real.'

    "We share the Congress' commitment to defend and strengthen civil
    liberties.  To date, both the courts and the Congress have found the
    government's use of the PATRIOT Act to be appropriate and thoroughly
    respectful of the liberties enshrined in the Constitution.  Those who would
    seek to repeal or water down the important tools in the PATRIOT Act would
    return America to the level of vulnerability to terrorist attack that
    existed prior September 11, 2001.

    "It is important to note that many of those in and out of Congress who now
    advocate weakening the law, opposed many of the measures in the 1996
    Anti-Terrorism Act passed by Congress and signed by then-President
    Clinton.  They believed then that the government already had too much
    authority to investigate and prevent terrorist activity."

    NOTE:  For more information about the PATRIOT Act, please visit
    www.lifeandliberty.gov <http://www.lifeandliberty.gov>.

    ###

    03-572