[Politech] Defending the families sued by the RIAA, via Kuro5hin [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 16:21:24 PDT

    From: "Paul \"Evil Genius\" Music" <evlpawl@private>
    To: "Pundit" <pundit@private>, "DeClan" <declan@private>
    Subject: Defending the families sued by the RIAA; via Kuro5hin
    Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:07:58 -0500

    This is the Daily digest for Kuro5hin.org.

    Defending the families sued by the RIAA

    By Holmes Wilson, 2003-10-17 13:32:43

    Section: Culture, Topic: Music

    When the RIAA sued 261 music sharers, the press was ready. Journalists knew
    the suits were coming--it was only a question of when, and who. But for the
    targets of the lawsuits (the vast majority families with children)

    there was nothing inevitable about it. Imagine getting hit with a lawsuit

    for more than the value of your home because your kids went to the wrong

    webpage and downloaded the wrong program. My role in this started a

    month ago, when my site was contacted by a programmer who, appalled by the
    story of Brianna LaHara, wanted to collect donations for people who'd been
    sued. We worked out a simple "P2P" Defense Fund
    [<http://downhillbattle.org/defense].that>http://downhillbattle.org/defense].that
    could go up quickly without any legal hassle or red tape, and we started
    calling people who'd been targetted. The first phone calls were a shock:
    until then I'd thought about the lawsuits in intellectual/strategic terms
    (is this a good move for the RIAA or not, etc.) but on the phone these were
    real people with

    tough, complex lives: My husband and I both work full time to make ends

    meet. We have 4 children ... We are middle class and live from paycheck to
    paycheck. We are good, honest people. This lawsuit has devastated us.

    Musicians and independent labels are speaking out against the RIAA
    lawsuits, and one independent musician
    [<http://www.scottandrew.com/>http://www.scottandrew.com] is even donating
    proceeds from his CD sales to the Defense Fund. An opportunity exists to
    stop future lawsuits.

    <http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/10/16/14350/583>http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/10/16/14350/583

    ----