[Politech] Yet Another Congressional Anti-Piracy Caucus forms [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 17:19:05 PDT

    It all seems a little anti-climactic to me. See:

    Congressional caucus targets piracy
    May 19, 2003, 3:51 PM PDT
    http://news.com.com/2100-1028-1007908.html

    and

    Congressional caucus fights piracy
    May 28, 2003, 4:31 PM PDT
    http://news.com.com/2110-1028-1010925.html

    How many "anti-piracy" caucuses do we need?

    Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, Dave Farber <dave@private>
    Subject: Congressional "piracy" caucus formed...

    In an interesting side note to this, I've started to see some bay area
    residents wearing pirate hats of various sorts (all with skull and
    cross-bones on them)... I can only hope that this is some sort of
    protest against moves like the one described below.  I may have to
    start wearing one as well!

    Joe

    ---
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60054-2003Oct21.html

    Congressional Caucus to Examine Entertainment Piracy

    By David McGuire
    Tuesday, October 21, 2003; 5:05 PM

    The aggressive crackdown on movie, music and software piracy on the
    Internet has been a headline grabber during the past six months, but a
    new group of congressional lawmakers is focusing instead on trampling
    the rampant copyright infringement taking place in broad daylight
    overseas.

    "Brazil, China, Pakistan, Russia and Taiwan have willfully ignored the
    need to crack down on the sale of pirated goods, a practice that costs
    the world economy billions of dollars each year", said Rep. Robert
    Goodlatte (R-Va.) at a press conference today on Capitol Hill.