[Politech] Sony caves to angry Quebeckers over "offensive" videogame [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 06:19:15 PST

    From: David Akin <dakin@private>
    To: "'declan@private'" <declan@private>
    Subject: Sony caves to angry Quebeckers
    Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:44:03 -0400

    Hey Declan --

    This is the first time I've ever heard of a game publisher pull content
    because some group found it objectionable. Go figger.

     >From today's Globe and Mail:

    Sony deletes terrorist attack

    Electronics giant Sony Corp. yesterday bowed to intense pressure from Quebec
    politicians and decided to delete video-game scenes featuring separatist
    terrorists engaging in bloody gunfights in a Toronto shopping mall and
    subway.
    Syphon Filter 4: The Omega Strain included terrorists from the fictitious
    Quebec Liberation Front attacking Toronto with biological weapons, machine
    guns and grenades. The video-game player is told to "mow down" the
    terrorists."

    [Full story at http://tinyurl.com/s7mm]

    I've provided some additional information on this story at my blog:
    http://davidakin.blogware.com

    David Akin
    CTV News
    The Globe and Mail