[Politech] Symantec's "Internet Filter" blocks pro-gun websites [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 06:23:51 PST

    Here's an excerpt from an article that Brock Meeks and I wrote in mid-1996:
    http://www.eff.org/Publications/Declan_McCullagh/cwd.keys.to.the.kingdom.0796.article
    >But CyberPatrol doesn't stop at EFF and MIT. It also goes after gun and
    >Second Amendment pages including http://www.shooters.com/,
    >http://www.taurususa.com/, http://206.31.73.39/, and
    >http://www-199.webnexus.com/nra-sv/, according to a recent "Cybernot"
    >list.
    >The last site is run by the National Rifle Association (NRA) Members'
    >Council of Silicon Valley, and bills itself as "the NRA's grass roots
    >political action and education group for the San Jose, Santa Clara,
    >Milpitas, and surrounding areas."
    >Peter Nesbitt, an air-traffic controller who volunteers as part of the
    >Silicon Valley NRA group, says "it's terrible" that CyberPatrol blocks
    >gun-rights web sites. "The people who are engaging in censoring gun
    >rights or gun advocates groups are the opposition who want to censor us
    >to further their anti-gun agenda."

    ---

    From: "Paul \"Evil Genius\" Music" <evlpawl@private>
    To: "DeClan" <declan@private>
    Subject: Symantec's "Internet Filter" software blocks 'pro-gun', not
    'anti-gun' sites?
    Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:00:14 -0500

    October 18, 2003

    . . . . . . . . .

    Internet Software that Blocks Only Pro-Gun Sites

    Bitter will blow a gasket when she reads this article in the November NRA
    Woman's Outlook magazine. There is an article on an Internet filter
    software that blocks out sites that parents feel are unacceptable for
    children and/or others.

    According to this article "One such software title is "Internet Security"
    from Symantec Corp. NRA members have discovered that after installing this
    software on their computers they can no longer visit NRA sites such as
    nraila.org. Interestingly, however, gun prohibitionist sites, such as those
    for the Brady Center, are not blocked in the default setting. The
    information on the anti-gun sites is left freely available." Interesting,
    to say the least!

    There is also an interesting article on "Right-To-Carry Reciprocity-What
    Does It Mean?" Now you know what I've been doing this weekend. Bitter would
    be proud of my reading selections!
    Posted by <mailto:biitchgirls@private>Bitchy Mom at
    <http://www.thebitchgirls.us/archives/002802.html>03:13 PM