[Politech] A mild defense of the RIAA and "anti-piracy" caucus [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 06:25:16 PST

    [This is not merrely flamebait. Czarina may be wrong, but I know her well
    enough to say she honestly believes this. :) --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:23:33
    From: Czarina <czarina@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Yet Another Congressional Anti-Piracy Caucus forms [ip]

    Declan,

    We will need as many anti-piracy caucuses, group, etc, until people stop
    stealing from artists.  Sure, music and software should be free, but so
    should food, water, and electricity.  However, if I walked out of Safeway
    with foodstuffs and didn't pay for them, I would go to jail, and no one
    would hesitate to call it stealing.

    Piracy hurts everyone in the industry.  It isn't right to steal music just
    because YOU feel that Madonna, Eminem, and Michael Jackson, et al "have made
    enough money".  Do they make a ridiculous amount of money for what they do?
    Of course, but that doesn't make it right to steal.  How would these pirates
    feel if someone with less money/success than they did, decided to steal
    their work and property because "they made enough money".

    Yes, I am sure that music company CEO's and the artists won't feel it, but
    remember the piracy hurts the little guy, people in the same socio-economic
    groups as the ones stealing it.  If you can afford a computer, you can
    afford a CD.  Quit being so damned selfish and cheap !!

    Czarina

    --
    En pèriode de la prospèritè, vos amis vous connaissent.
    En pèriode de l'adversitè, vous connaissez vos amis.