[Politech] Ed Black and Brock Meeks on Google not being a monopoly [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 12:22:46 PST

    [Ed runs a Washington trade organization that is appealing the
    DOJ-Microsoft antitrust settlement as being insufficiently, ah, rigorous.
    See: http://www.ccianet.org/press/03/0505.php3  --Declan]

    ---

    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Google's possible IPO draw cries of "monopoly!" [priv]
    From: "Ed J. Black" <EBlack@private>
    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:02:40 -0500

    We know what real monopolies look like and its not Google.

    Having a competitive level playing field is very important and is a proper
    subject for public agencies -WHEN there is a monopoly AND WHEN it abuses
    its power AND  when there is competitive harm.

    Large market share, especially when there are no substantial barriers to
    entry is not grounds for action.  Why some so misunderstood the Microsoft
    case - it wasn't about being big, or even being a multi-monopolist, but
    about breaking the law,  causing harm, and NOT competing on a level playing
    field.

    Success and growth are not punished by our legal system.  That myth is
    perpetuated by those who want to distort reality to protect lawbreakers by
    trying to delegitimize the law.

    ---