[Politech] Diebold nastygrams Politech member over internal letters [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 21:57:38 PST

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:24:48 -0800 (PST)
    From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall@private>
    To: Dave Farber <dave@private>, Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Students receiving cease-desists from Diebold...

    Hi Dave, Declan,

    We could really use your help publicizing this.

    Myself, along with students from 20 other universities are starting to
    receive cease and desist letters from Diebold Election Systems. A copy
    of the cease-and-desist letter received by MIT is here:

    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~jhall/temp/diebold_c-d.pdf

    The letters are in response to our coordinated electronic civil
    disobedience effort to keep a compressed file of internal Diebold
    memos alive and force them to do a legal version of "whack a mole."
    We have other students with the files lined up ready to take our place
    as sites are taken down.

    For more on the disobedience effort, See:
    http://why-war.com/features/2003/10/diebold.html

    We need help getting the word out and having other institutions/
    individuals post mirrors to the files.  The Berkeley copies will be
    available here (below) until we are forced to take them down or can
    convince our University to fight the cease-and-desist actions on fair
    use grounds.

    http://sims.berkeley.edu/~jhall/nqb/archives/lists.tgz
    http://sims.berkeley.edu/~parkert/misc/lists.tgz

    We are within the bounds of fair use as the memos are highly
    newsworthy and seem to implicate illegal activity on behalf of Diebold
    Election Systems. A more extensive legal case is available by reading
    Wendy Seltzer's response to one of the cease-and-desist letters:

    http://www.chillingeffects.org/responses/notice.cgi?NoticeID=912

    If you are a student reading this and can host a mirror, send a link
    and your institution's name to info@why-war.com .

    Thanks for your time,
    Joe