[Politech] Diebold documents now on Freenet, safe from censorship? [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 06:26:07 PST

    From: "FreeNet" <liberation@private>
    To: declan@private
    Subject: Re: Students receiving cease-desists from Diebold...
    Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:52:46 GMT

    For Politech:

    Ian Clarke, creator of the Freenet network, said: "Most
    censorship is retrospective, it is generally much easier to
    curtail free speech by punishing those who exercise it
    afterward, rather than preventing them from doing it in the
    first place. The only way to prevent this is to remain
    anonymous."

    It seems that no longer does this ideal apply only to, say,
    Chinese dissidents; it now applies in full to US citizens who
    are attempting to exercise their first amendment rights to free
    speech. I am not willing to open myself to the hassle or risk of
    a subpoena, but I am still willing to do my part. As such, the
    Diebold mailing list archives have been inserted into Freenet
    for anyone to retrieve with impunity.

    While I support Joe Hall, the others at Why-War, and all of
    those who are taking the risk to host a public mirror, my goal
    is to ensure the availability and longevity of the information
    itself, regardless of legal threats. Diebold will, I fear,
    continue to shut down mirrors which have a readily identifiable
    contact point. Perhaps a Freenet mirror will be impervious to
    such shakedowns.

    The 11MB lists.tgz file, mirrored at several locations which are
    listed at http://why-war.com/features/2003/10/diebold.html, is
    now also available on Freenet. The key is:

    CHK@sgOjWAy4g-0bf0m5biyqnEzWloENAwI,OXw8OfHPfsmLd068BtICKg/lists.tgz

    The above should be one single unbroken line when attempting to
    retrieve the key via Freenet.

    I have not yet located a copy of the GEMS executable or other
    Diebold-related information aside from the mailing list
    archives, but if I manage to come across copies of such, they
    will be inserted into Freenet just the same.