[Politech] Bill 602P lives? Politician warns states may tax email messages

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 06:35:27 PST

    http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/article/0,1406,KNS_376_2390408,00.html

    Congresswoman goes on offensive over fear of e-mail tax

    By RICHARD POWELSON, powelsonr@private
    October 31, 2003

    WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., warned Thursday that
    governments might start taxing every e-mail transmission if Congress does
    not quickly renew a federal ban on Internet-access taxes expiring Saturday.

    [...]

    Blackburn's warning came in a written statement sent to newspapers for
    publication as an op-ed piece, and she reiterated it in a subsequent
    interview.

    Blackburn said she was concerned that if Congress does not renew the ban on
    Internet access taxes, local areas could tax an e-mail each time it passed
    from one computer server to another. She urged the Senate to quickly pass
    the House-passed ban on Internet access taxes.

    "We can chuckle about (an e-mail tax) now, but we won't be laughing if
    America's thousands of taxing jurisdictions actually start taxing e-mail,"
    Blackburn said. "And that is exactly what could happen if we do not extend
    this moratorium by Friday night."

    [...]