[Politech] Transportation Security Administation still loves CAPPS II [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 06:17:56 PST

    http://www.senate.gov/~commerce/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=985&wit_id=2785

    Wednesday, November 5 2003 - 10:00 AM - SR- 253

    The Testimony of
    Mr. Stephen McHale
    Deputy Administrator,, Transportation Security Administration
    DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

    . Between September 2002 and October 2003 our Office of Internal Affairs
    and Program Review (OIAPR) conducted 847 checkpoint and 2,737 airport
    security access tests, as well as computer assisted passenger prescreening
    (CAPPS) and checked baggage tests at 107 airports. We are conducting covert
    testing at over three times the annual rate of the old FAA “red teams,” and
    our testing uses more difficult, realistic testing situations. Although TSA
    cannot discuss the results of our tests in detail in this setting, results
    have shown an improvement of approximately 10 percent from September 2002
    to August 2003

      TSA is making plans for delivering high-speed connectivity to all TSA
    locations within airports across the country. This will provide access to
    real-time training on current threats, connectivity with checked baggage
    areas, and will establish a foundation for planned implementations of
    additional administrative, surveillance, CAPPS II, and other security
    enhancements.

    TSA is moving forward with the development of the second-generation
    Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System (CAPPS II), which will help
    us to focus our screening resources where they will be most effective.
    CAPPS II is yet another layer in our system of systems to address a
    continuum of security threats with minimal impact on airline customers and
    operations. CAPPS II is intended to identify terrorists and other high-risk
    individuals before they board commercial airplanes. CAPPS II will conduct a
    risk assessment of each passenger using national security information and
    information provided by passengers during the reservation process—including
    name, date of birth, home address and home phone number, and provide a
    “risk score” to TSA. The “risk score” includes an “authentication score”
    provided by running passenger name record (PNR) data against commercial
    databases to indicate a confidence level in each passenger’s identity.
    CAPPS II will be a threat-based system under the direct control of the
    Federal Government and will represent a major improvement over the
    decentralized, airline-controlled system currently in place.

      CAPPS II would not retain data on U.S. passengers who are permitted to
    fly. Information would be stored only for a sufficient time to assess that
    a U.S. traveler is who he or she claims to be and to evaluate Government
    information related to terrorist threats and practices. Information would
    not be kept after completion of the traveler’s reserved itinerary, apart
    from a necessary audit trail that would not be searchable by passenger name
    or other personal identifier.