[Politech] Billy Tauzin: The broadcast flag meets DC's revolving door [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 06:22:24 PST

    Tauzin loves the broadcast flag, supported by the MPAA. See his press
    release below applauding the FCC's vote.

    It must be sheer coincidence that Tauzin appears likely to run the MPAA soon:
    http://www.nypost.com/business/41882.htm
    >"October 25, 2003 -- Louisiana congressman Billy Tauzin has been plucked
    >to replace Jack Valenti, the long-running head of the Motion Picture
    >Association of America (MPAA), according to sources familiar with the matter. "

    I'm heartened to see that yet another politician has the public interest at
    heart instead of his own personal (financial) interest.

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Wednesday, November 5,
    2003

    CONTACT: Ken Johnson or Jon Tripp

    202-225-5735<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

    Tauzin Issues Statement

    On FCC's Broadcast Flag Ruling

    WASHINGTON (November 5) - House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman
    Billy Tauzin (R-LA) today issued the following statement after the Federal
    Communications Commission voted late Tuesday to adopt "Broadcast Flag"
    technology to assist in the transition to digital television:

      "The FCC has taken yet another important step to bring digital television
    to American consumers by adopting the 'Broadcast Flag' rules. Absent the
    broadcast flag, content providers would be hesitant to make high-value
    digital content available to consumers. And unless exciting content is
    available, consumers will find little reason to embrace digital television.
    Implementation of this technology will help to preserve the viability of
    free, over-the-air broadcasting. Without content protection for such
    broadcasts, digital programming might migrate disproportionately to cable
    and satellite systems for which consumers must pay subscription fees."

    # # #