[Politech] Replies to Ashcroft touting PATRIOT Act as pro-freedom [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 06:23:55 PST

    Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:39:05 -0800
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    From: Steve Schear <s.schear@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] John Ashcroft says PATRIOT Act "honors" liberty
       and freedom [priv]

    >>Ordered liberty is the reason that we are the most open and the most
    >>secure society in the world.  Ordered liberty is a guiding principle, not
    >>a stumbling block to security.
    >>
    >>When the first societies passed and enforced the first laws against
    >>murder, theft and rape, the men and women of those societies
    >>unquestionably were made more free.
    >>
    >>A test of a law, then, is this:  does it honor or degrade liberty?  Does
    >>it enhance or diminish freedom?
    >>
    >>The Founders provided the mechanism to protect our liberties and preserve
    >>the safety and security of the Republic:  the Constitution.  It is a
    >>document that safeguards security, but not at the expense of freedom.  It
    >>celebrates freedom, but not at the expense of security.  It protects us
    >>and our way of life.

    This naive view ignores the sometimes ad hoc basis for Supreme Court
    rulings, especially when 'essential' federal power is at stake or the court
    is under heavy pressure.  Good examples of the SC bending over are its
    refusal to consider Congressional misbehavior in passing the 14th Amendment
    and its knuckling under to Congress and FDR pressure to pass
    unconstitutional New Deal legislation.  These two episodes form the
    backbone of almost all federal power and agencies formed since the Civil War.

    steve

    ---