[Politech] Australian tech-journalist caught by U.S. visa trap

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 06:25:48 PST

    Dec

    For obvious reasons, and not to enrage the DHS, please delete my name and
    other identifying details as well.  I may go to the US one day and dont
    want my name on file for this post.

    source itjourno.com.au
    18/11/2003

    Aussie IT journo caught by US visa trap

    By Victoria Lea

    Natalie Apostolou is the third journalist in three months to come forward
    about being deported from the USA for not having the correct visa.

    Apostolou, who was last week finger-printed, face-scanned, body-searched
    and handcuffed, warned journalists to obtain the correct 'I-visa' before
    travelling to the United States.

    "There's a lot of secrecy surrounding this issue and I don't believe the US
    has communicated it fairly to either the media fraternity or the travel
    industry," Apostolou said.

    "There's not enough clear information and I feel that Australian passport
    holders are currently being misinformed."

    In September, Dan Kaufman reported in the Sydney Morning Herald that he
    been detained, frisked and ultimately kicked out of Las Vegas for not
    having the relevant visa for a working journalist.

    Yesterday, news.com.au ran a report describing how Sue Smethurst, a New
    Idea journalist, had been handcuffed, body-searched and then deported from
    LA. Again, the complaint was the lack of correct visa.

    One week ago, Communications Day editor Natalie Apostolou had her own
    run-in with US Customs.

    Apostolou was on a Virgin Mobile junket to New York. The gig had been
    billed as a 'celebratory transatlantic party', more for Virgin's transport
    business than the telco side, but nevertheless a look-see opportunity for a
    telco writer to be in the same space as Richard Branson and other senior
    Virgin execs.

    Apostolou, who has been to the US five times previously as a working
    journalist and never before used a visa, boarded the plane without one.

    On arrival in Los Angeles, en route to New York, Apostolou wrote on her
    immigration form that she was, by profession, an 'Editor'.

    "Like most journalists, I didn't want to write on the form that I was a
    'Journalist'," Apostolou said. "But I also didn't want to outright lie."

    Once at Immigration, Apostolou was "grilled" by a Customs official.

    "She asked me why I was here; I said I was here for a conference. She asked
    if I was a journalist; I said in effect I was. She asked if I might
    interview someone while I was here; I said it was a possibility."

    Apostolou's passport was confiscated and she was put in a private room.
    After an hour, two different officials entered with a new batch of questions.

    "They brought up this stipulation that there are certain people who don't
    qualify for the visa waiver program and those people include journalists,"
    Apostolou said.

    "They asked me if I was aware of that and I explained that I was in the
    country as a guest of Virgin, but not actually there in a working capacity.

    "They were like: 'Are you saying that our person at the immigration desk
    lied?'"

    Apostolou was then put through another interview, this time 'under oath'.

    She was fingerprinted, body-searched and her mug shot was taken. Her
    luggage was searched and her handbag contents itemised. Her palms and face
    were scanned and she was body-searched again.

    After an interval she was told she was being deported.

    "They hand-cuffed me and marched me out of LA Airport and put me in a
    detention centre for ten hours."

    Apostolou was then allowed a collect phone call. She dialled her host,
    Virgin Mobile's managing director in New York.

    "He said, 'Natalie! Are you in a bar or something uptown?' I told him, 'No,
    I'm in a detention centre in LA.'"

    After 10 hours, Apostolou was put on a plane back to Australia.

    Almost one week later, she is in the process of filing an official
    complaint with the US Embassy in Sydney. She also has plans to write up her
    own report on what happened.

    In the meantime, she had two points to share with fellow media members.

    "Most Australians can travel to the US under the visa waiver program but
    there are various groups exempt from that, and they include journalists,"
    Apostolou said.

    "What the US immigration told me in no uncertain terms is that a
    journalist, whether they are travelling for work or pleasure, and if they
    are going to be honest about their profession and say they're a journalist,
    will always need an I-visa.

    "It is all a matter of luck of course - perhaps the person at the desk
    might let you through. But the impression I came away with is that
    September 11 has changed everything: US immigration has decided to start
    enforcing this law about media. They've heavily cracked down and there are
    now no grey areas."

    However, Apostolou claimed that information regarding the issue remains grey.

    "If you look at the US Embassy site, depending on how you read the section
    on visas, you could believe that a journalist doesn't need one," she argued.

    On the Visa Waiver Program page, media is not mentioned. The page reads
    that as long as you're planning to be in the US for less than 90 days, for
    the purpose of business or pleasure (not government), have an onward ticket
    and no criminal record, you'll be fine.

    Yet it does say this:

    "Some travellers are not eligible by law to enter the United States. These
    include people with... certain visa refusals and other problems with US
    immigration laws or visas. Such travellers may apply for specially
    annotated visas; but they may not use the visa waiver program. If they
    attempt to travel visa-free, they will be refused entry into the United
    States."

    That includes media, which you can find on another page if you keep reading
    the fine print.

    "Visitors to the United States who report on news events and who are
    engaged in activities to gather information for the media should obtain an
    I-visa."

    Apostolou would like this information brought out of fine print territory
    and into general understanding.