[Politech] Cryptome's John Young describes visit by two FBI agents

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 10:22:22 PST

    Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:58:23 -0800
    To: cypherpunks
    From: John Young <jya@private>
    Subject: Re: Gestapo harasses John Young, appeals to patriotism, told to
        fuck off

    SA Renner did most of the talking and carried a
    manila folder with a file name on it beginning with
    "SP,"  I think. Couldn't see the remainder. He didn't
    open it during the session and it may have been
    a prop.

    They showed up without warning, no call ahead, got
    past our Doberman doorman (we're on the 6th floor)
    who usually calls us about visitors but didn't this time,
    and hasn't said a peep since the visit.

    (In contrast, when I got subpoenas for the Bell grand
    jury and trial, the doorman called up about the Treasury
    agents and I met them in the street level lobby.)

    Renner showed ID, asked to come in and talk. They
    were here about half an hour.

    I tried to get them to sit together but they carefully
    bracketed me.

    They asked who works with me on Cryptome, who
    funds it. Me and me alone, I said.

    The FBI agents asked about nobody except me. Renner
    asked for ID and I showed him Duncan's, or maybe it was
    Declan's.

    I sent an account to cpunks right after the visit but LNE
    never processed it, nor three more later. Hence this
    algebra late comer.

    ---