[Politech] Why Fed spam bill will boost the Nigerian economy, by A.Lizard

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 06:12:53 PST

---

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:00:21 -0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
From: "A.Lizard" <alizard@private>
Subject: Re: [Politech] Why Fed spam bill is a "critical law, " from
   America Online [sp]

At 07:46 PM 11/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
>---
>
>AMERICA ONLINE, AN INDUSTRY LEADER IN THE FIGHT FOR TOUGHER ANTI-SPAM
>LAWS, APPLAUDS BIPARTISAN CONGRESSIONAL AGREEMENT AND ACTION ON TOUGH NEW
>SPAM LAWS
>
>Dulles, VA - November 21, 2003 - America Online, Inc., the world's leading
>interactive services company,  today issued the following statement
>concerning the bipartisan agreement on Federal anti-spam legislation (S.
>877) that is being adopted by Congress:

Will they still be thanking Congress when their spam load doubles or worse?

The legislation is "opt-out", not "opt-in"... how many Fortune 500
companies are going to start spamming us with "legitimate" advertising "in
full compliance with S.877"? My guess is *all* of them. Each with a valid
postal address on the bottom.

The only good news about this is that everyone who challenges any of the
392 Congressmen and 97 senators will be able to point to their opponent as
"the jackass who doubled the amount of spam you are getting by *LEGALIZING*
spam". Anyone who knows any challenger running for Congress or the Senate
should point this out around the first of next year. I think every American
Internet user should know who to thank for this.

Actually, I think "doubles" is optimistic. Most of us can expect to see our
Internet bills go up due to the increase of spam traffic this law is going
to generate, and some providers who can't pass their increased costs along
will probably go under.

However, I can think of one group who's going to find the "Do Not Spam"
registry *very* useful. The Nigerian spammers. Anyone who registers for it
is probably going to find the spam he won't be getting from "reputable
companies" replaced by Nigerian spam.

A.Lizard
member The Internet Society (ISOC), The HTML Writers Guild.
"Outlook is a security hole that masqurades as an e-mail client."
                         Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
Personal Website http://www.ecis.com/~alizard
business Website http://reptilelabs.com
backup address (if ALL else fails) alizard@private
[temporarily fubared, will be fixed or replaced]
PGP 8.0 key available by request or keyserver. Download PGP from
http://www.pgpi.org for e-mail privacy.
Disaster prep info: http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/y2k.html
For new music, try http://www.eliangedeon.com