[Politech] Another round on what Congress spam bill actually does [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 06:15:48 PST

    To: gnu@private
    Cc: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech]         Why Fed spam law is absolutely evil, by
    John Gilmore [sp]
    From: cjlamb@private
    Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:33:25 -0500

    John,
    I normally agree with what you say, but in this case, I think you're way
    out in left field:

     >That would make a large fraction of hotmail users instant criminals.

    It would only make criminals out of those hotmail users that send
    commercial email with false or misleading information.  I have a hotmail
    account.  Would that make me an instant criminal?  No, because I'm not
    using it to send commercial email.

     >It also makes it a crime to remove or alter information in message
    headers in ways that would make it harder for a police officer
    to determine who had sent the email.  Anonymizers will be illegal
    as soon as this bill becomes law.

    Again, this only applies to senders of commercial email.  I read some case
    law after reading this to see if there were any precendents, and
    fortunately there aren't (at least that I could find in a quick 5 minute
    search).  So, to recap, you can email to your heart's contect using an
    anonymizer as long as it isn't unsolicted commercial email.  You can email
    anyone you want - you can even use false and misleading headers (if I read
    the CAN-SPAM legislation correctly) as long as your aren't selling a product.

    I don't believe that anonimity has any place in the commercial realm.  Do
    you honestly want some anonymous person hawking their wares at you with no
    way to track them down??   Do you feel that I should be able to hawk
    whatever I want to whomever I want with no way for anyone to limit
    me?   Can you honestly defend the right of someone to blindly email any
    information to anyone with no way to stop them?

    I'm proud to call myself a liberal and am very free speech oriented.  I
    don't even think the CAN-SPAM is a good bill.  But, short of taxing email
    (which I oppose - for now), I can't come up with a better alternative.  Can
    you?  According to a study by Brightmail, last year over 40% of all email
    was spam.  That was 2002 - I imagine in 2003, it's inched up to the 50%
    mark - at least in my inbox.  For my web based mail clients, like Hotmail,
    it's about 90 - 95%.

    I look forward to your response.  I sincerely believe that you're response
    wasn't thought out before you wrote it.  I can't fathom the erroneous
    assumptions you made based on what I read in your response.  As I said at
    the beginning, you and I normally see eye to eye most of the time and I
    respect your opinions, even when we differ, but in all cases except this
    one, I at least understand where you are comming from.

    Best regards,
    CJ Lamb

    ---

    To: cjlamb@private
    cc: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, gnu@private
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Why Fed spam law is absolutely evil, by John
    Gilmore [sp]
    Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:55:23 -0800
    From: John Gilmore <gnu@private>

     > Would that make me an instant criminal?  No, because I'm not
     > using it to send commercial email.

    It depends on what your definition of "commercial email" is.  The bill's
    definition is quite broad.  Note that there is no requirement that it be
    sent in bulk; a single message is "commercial email" regulated by the bill.
    On page 5:

       (A)  IN GENERAL.--The  term  ``commercial
       electronic  mail  message''  means  any  electronic
       mail  message  the  primary  purpose  of  which  is
       the  commercial  advertisement  or  promotion  of  a
       commercial  product  or  service  (including  con-
       tent  on  an  Internet  website  operated  for  a  com-
       mercial purpose).

    If you sent a message to a company saying, "I saw a job posting on
    your company's web site, and found your email address in Google; I'd
    like to apply for the job" then you've violated the bill in two
    different ways.  You used automated means (Google) to extract an email
    address, and you sent commercial email advertising a service (your
    services).

    I won't spend further time on this message because there is an 80% chance
    that it will bounce unread -- your antispam software will reject it.
    (So far, *every* response I've sent to people who sent me email after
    Declan posted my note has bounced.)

             John

    ---

    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Cc: cjlamb@private, gnu@private, John Gilmore <gnu@private>
    John  Gilmore [sp]
    From: cjlamb@private
    Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:48:23 -0500

    John, Declan,
    After reading Declan's response and thinking a bit more on the subject, I
    now better understand John's arguments.   I may even agree now - to a
    point.  I think that the situation is just so frustrating, that people want
    to start somewhere and this is the tool that's been given - for better or
    worse.   I really agree that, unless there were some clarifications, that
    it wouldn't work in it's current form and that's what we're discussing, not
    a "what-if" scenario.  (My mind is spinning while I sit here and ponder
    it...).

    You guys really get the mind moving.  You don't have to respond, as I know
    you both have full plates.

    Best regards,
    CJ Lamb