[Politech] Larry Lessig replies to Politech over limiting anonymity [fs][priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 06:12:16 PST

    [Why do I get the feeling that Larry Lessig doesn't like "absolute"
    anonymity much at all? Systems for building and defending "absolute"
    anonymity already exist in the form of anonymous remailers and Freenet,
    among others. It would be foolish to follow Larry's advice and concede too
    quickly that such technologies have so few legitimate uses that they cannot
    be reasonably defended. Even the oft-benighted Eurocrats have recognized
    this: a 1997 EC directive encourages anonymity, as does a German federal
    law (http://www.iid.de/rahmen/iukdgebt.html). In the U.S., since the
    Federalist Papers were published with effectively "absolute" pseudonymity,
    surely the framers of the U.S. Constitution had them in mind when crafting
    the Bill of Rights. Justice Thomas lists more contemporaneous examples in
    his McIntyre concurrence
    (http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-986.ZC1.html). Saying anonymous
    technologies are indefensible concedes a crucial point: that the
    government's power is so sweeping that police have the right to learn our
    identity in all cases. So much for whistleblowing and anonymous reports of
    public brutality.

    Perhaps more to the point, the twin privacy-encroaching technologies of
    automated electronic surveillance and efficient large-scale databases did
    not exist decades or centuries ago. "Absolute" anonymity lets us reclaim
    some of that lost zone of privacy. Lastly, trying to remove "absolute"
    anonymity from the Internet (banning strong encryption and computers that
    can be programmed not to keep logs) would be far more disruptive,
    destructive, and harmful than proposals like Hollings' CBDTPA that Larry
    has rightly opposed. --Declan]

    ---