[Politech] Brock Meeks' CyberWire Dispatch, R.I.P.

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 21:50:38 PST

    [Disclaimer: I've worked on some CyberWire Dispatch articles with Brock in
    the past. It had a good run. --Declan]

    ---

    From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks@private>
    To: declan@private
    Subject: CWD--Farewell Tour
    Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:09:54 -0800

    Copyright © 2003 // CyberWire Dispatch // December 31

    Jacking in from “Fond Farewell” Port:

    WASHINGTON­New York’s Times Square today looks and feels like the war
    ravaged capital of some third world country after a coup d'état; the FBI is
    telling local cops to be leery of any hinky acting, middle-eastern looking
    males that happen to be carry around dog-eared almanacs (no, I’m not making
    this stuff up); the U.S. Justice Department, with Congress acting as
    unindicted co-conspirators, have pencil whipped the Bill of Rights so as to
    make it unrecognizable to the Founding Fathers; Paris Hilton’s sex tape is
    all over the Internet and CyberWire Dispatch is closing the doors on its
    publication.

    Thank God for Paris, at least some sanity remains out there.

    Today’s world seems even darker and more in need of the kind of  biting,
    crystal commentary that CWD provided than when the publication first sprang
    life, back before the Web was born, when “browser” was a pejorative term
    used by Real Estate agents and anxious retail store owners.

    But CWD has been on “life support” for far too many years now and it’s time
    to make a decision to revive it or mercifully pull the plug and let it die
    an honorable death, slipping into the history and archive of the cyberworld
    with its legacy intact.

    Gloves please… let’s pull the plug on this beast.

    I’ll retain the rights to the CyberWire Dispatch name and hold on to the
    cyberwire.com, if for nothing else than to keep Marty Rimm from buying the
    domain and turning it into a how-to clearinghouse for would be pornographers…

     >From There and Back Again
    =====================

    We’ve had a good run, no, a great run.  CWD, unfunded and erratically
    published (and erratically edited for that matter), won top journalism
    awards with its unflinching commentary and investigative stories.  We
    uncovered hoaxes, stopped miscreants from foisting their schemes users of
    the web and from time to time made the administration sweat.

    All of that was first and foremost made possible by you, the reader.  Many
    CWD readers became sources, friends, contributors and ad hoc editors.

    CyberWire Dispatch even owes its name to its readers.  The publication was
    nameless until it broke a story way-back-when about an internal
    cost/benefit analysis the White House had done on the impact of what was
    then called the “digital telephony bill.”

    The FBI and administration kept insisting that no such analysis had been
    done but CWD obtained that analysis and wrote an exclusive story about
    it.  What a shock, then, to find the next day that the great grey Lady (the
    New York Times) had come out with an article that was nearly identical to
    CWD’s, as if they had gotten the scoop on their own.

    This episode didn’t escape CWD’s sharp eyed readers and it was suggested
    that if CWD, still nameless at the time, were given a name, it would be
    much harder to steal from.  I believe Kevin Kelly was the first one to
    actually make that suggestion and that day the name CyberWire Dispatch was
    born.

    It wasn’t long after that Mitch Kapor paid CWD one of the highest
    compliments it ever received by proclaiming that by its publication on the
    web it had created one of the “first brands” in cyberspace.

    No one ever stole from CWD again and indeed, many mainstream publications
    began to officially reference our stories and credit our scoops.

    The Home Team
    ============

    There was no greater incubator for CWD than the WELL.  It was CWD’s “home
    town” and the people that populated the WELL were its judge, jury,
    researchers, critics and editors.  I cherish each and everyone there that
    took the time to comment, either negative or positive.  Each helped shape
    CWD in ways they’ll never fully know.

    Eric Theise, a San Francisco visual artist, who maintains Liberty Hill
    Cyberwerks (<http://www.cyberwerks.com/>www.cyberwerks.com), receives my
    undying gratitude for selflessly hosting CyberWire Dispatch (the web’s
    ugliest homepage) all these many years.  Although
    <http://www.cyberwire.com/>www.cyberwire.com is alive, it’s essentially a
    mirror of the space Eric provided.

    Like the winner of an academy award, I feel the uncontrollable urge to
    thank everyone I’ve ever known.  But for once I’ll show some restraint and
    not do that.  I would inevitably forget to mention someone that had a major
    impact on CWD’s success and who needs that kind of negative karma floating
    around.

    It’s been a privilege to be a pioneer in online journalism and watch CWD
    carve out its place in history.  And it’s also a great pleasure to have CWD
    retire undefeated in challenges before the Supreme Court, owing to our 1-0
    record as a plaintiff in the landmark Reno v. ACLU case that struck down
    (the majority of) the Communications Decency Act.

    Thanks one and all, friend and foe alike, it’s been a hell of a ride.

    And so, finally, really, I’m not kidding…

    Meeks out…