[Politech] Michael Savage loses censorship bid, victory for free speech [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 10:44:32 PST

    [Thomas Leavitt is of course a frequent contributor to Politech. --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:36:55 -0500
    From: "Paul Levy" <plevy@private>
    To: <declan@private>
    Subject: Big victory for the free speech -- the right to boycott

    We have recently received an order from Judge Guzman granting the motion
    of Talk Radio Network to dismiss the lawsuit that it brought against
    Thomas and Gunilla Leavitt, among others, for their web sites denouncing
    talk radio host Michael Savage and urging consumers to contact Savage's
    advertisers to express their outrage at his bigotry.  The "voluntary"
    dismissal was filed on the day that TRN was finally due to file its
    response to our motion to dismiss.

    One word to the wise when people have to defend these cases -- we have
    been finding that when we couple a motion to dismiss for lack of
    personal jurisdiction with a motion to dismiss because a complaint does
    not present a valid claim under the First Amendment, many judges are
    refusing to address the request for dismissal on the face of the
    complaint without FIRST requiring the defendant to submit to discovery
    on the issue of personal jurisdiction.  The rules require all grounds
    for dismissal to be joined in a single motion at the outset of a case,
    so it is not clear how to avoid this problem, but I raise it for
    consideration.

    In the Leavitts' case, for example, the judge deferred briefing on the
    motion to dismiss to allow the plaintiff to take discovery.
    Understandable at one level, because many cases say that discovery is
    allowed to determine whether there might be a basis for personal
    jurisdiction; yet that fact gives plaintiffs with meritless suits an
    incentive to seek discovery as a way to keep applying the financial
    pressure that the suit is intended to impose on a critic.  And many
    judges will not require briefing BEFORE the discovery, because they only
    want to consider the motion to dismiss once.

    Ironically, though, we used this order as a basis for taking our own
    discovery on jurisdiction, inquiring into the nest of interlocking
    companies established by the Foundation of Human Understanding (which
    owns Talk Radio Network) to determine whether the citizenship of the
    "real" plaintiff was in California, which would prevent them from
    maintaining suit in federal court based on diversity of citizenship.  We
    will never know whether it was the threat of this discovery or the need
    to answer our motion to dismiss that ultimately persuaded TRN to throw
    in the towel (somebody else in litigation against TRN will have to
    pursue that one).

    Still, this strategy of countering discovery with discovery is not one
    that can be done cheaply, and the possibility that the  litigation will
    be expensive and more time consuming makes it harder for defendants to
    find pro bono representation.  If, for example, we did not have
    donations to support our work, and the support of Jenner and Block as
    our local counsel, and other private practitioners who were providing
    pro bono representation of the Take Back The Media web site (a complete
    list is in our press release below), we might well not have been able to
    pursue this discovery strategy for the Leavitts.   More important, if we
    want to come up with the best legal protection against this sort of
    harassing litigation, we really need to find ways to get the cases
    dismissed on their face.

    Anyway, a nice victory for free speech (and for your list, which is how
    the Leavitts found us in the first place).  Here is our press release:

    Talk Radio Network Drops Suit That Aimed to Shut Down Web Sites
    Critical of Right-Wing Radio Host

      WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Talk Radio Network today dropped a suit aimed
    at shutting down Web sites that urge people to boycott companies that
    advertise on a nationally syndicated right-wing radio show. The suit was
    filed against four people who operate three Web sites critical of
    right-wing radio host Michael Savage. Public Citizen, which has a
    history of defending speech on the Internet, is representing two of
    those Web site operators, Thomas and Gunilla Leavitt of Santa Cruz,
    Calif., who created www.savagestupidity.com.

      Their site, which Public Citizen defended on First Amendment grounds,
    criticizes offensive and bigoted comments made by Savage, who rails
    against African-Americans, Hispanics, Jewish liberals, women, gays,
    liberals and a variety of other groups on his show, "Savage Nation." The
    Web site also has audio clips from the show and calls for the public to
    write letters to Savage's advertisers urging them to withdraw their
    support from his program. The Web site urges the public to boycott
    advertisers who continue to support Savage.

      The Talk Radio Network, based in Grants Pass, Ore., filed suit on May
    12 in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Illinois,
    alleging that the defendants are running commercial Web sites that make
    false and malicious statements about Savage and attempt to interfere
    with Talk Radio Network's relationships with advertisers, specifically
    Culligan, an Illinois-based company. The suit asked the court to shut
    down the Web sites and force the operators pay several hundred thousand
    dollars in damages.

      In a brief (posted at
    http://www.citizen.org/documents/leavitt%20dismiss%20memo.pdf) filed
    in June, Public Citizen argued that the network's suit was flawed in
    many ways. First, it was filed in the wrong court, because the Leavitts
    live in California. Second, the site expressed the Leavitts' opinion
    about Savage, and the statements they made about him are to their
    knowledge true, so the criteria for libel of a public figure were not
    met. Finally, the network argued that the posting of clips of Savage's
    show violated its copyright, but the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly
    made clear that such a "fair use" of material is protected under the
    First Amendment.

      "The Leavitts have every right to criticize Savage's statements. Also,
    calling for a boycott is a time-honored action that has long been
    protected by the First Amendment, and the court would have recognized
    that," said Paul Alan Levy, an attorney with the Public Citizen
    Litigation Group who represented the Leavitts. "We're pleased that the
    company has seen fit to drop its case."

    David Layden and David Bradford of Jenner & Block were local counsel
    for the Leavitts.  Julie Trester of Meckler, Bulger & Tilson in Chicago,
    and Gregory Todd, a solo practitioner in New York, represented the other
    main defendant in the case.
    ###

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group