[Politech] Grocery stores apologize for attack on anti-grocery card activist [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 07:26:40 PST

    Subject: GMA Issues Apology to RFID Privacy Activist
    From: Katherine Albrecht <kma@private>
    Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:15:37 -0500

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    January 12, 2004

    Grocery Manufacturers of America Issues Apology to RFID Privacy Activist
    Character assassination not condoned, says GMA CEO

    GMA CEO C. Manly Molpus issued an apology for an errant email that
    suggested the organization might be formulating a smear campaign against an
    RFID privacy activist. According to email evidence, a GMA employee emailed
    Katherine Albrecht, Founder and Director of Consumers Against Supermarket
    Privacy Invasion and Numbering (CASPIAN), to request a copy of her bio,
    "for our sources." Ms. Albrecht found the request unusual and emailed a
    request for further information.

    To her surprise, she received a message that was clearly intended for
    someone else:

    I don't know what to tell this woman! "Well, actually we're trying to see
    if you have a juicy past that we could use against you."

    In his response, CEO Molpus explained that the comments were made on the
    part of an intern and were a "youthful indiscretion." He added, "Her
    request for a copy of your bio was simply part of a normal effort to obtain
    information about those who lead organizations with an interest in industry
    issues."

    When Ms. Albrecht was asked whether she found the explanation plausible,
    she said, "Most people I've spoken to think GMA had less than honorable
    intentions, but regardless of the original intent, I want to thank Mr.
    Molpus for his prompt response to this issue and his assurance that such
    behavior is not condoned by GMA."

    She indicated she also received an apology by phone from Richard Martin,
    GMA Vice President of Communications, who oversees the department in which
    the intern works.

    "GMA has expressed an interest in participating in further discussions
    about the use of RFID in consumer goods," said Albrecht. "We look forward
    to a future dialog with them and member companies about the serious privacy
    and civil liberties implications of RFID technology."

    CASPIAN, along with the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, the ACLU, the
    Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), the Electronic Privacy Information
    Center (EPIC), and others, recently issued a position statement calling for
    "a voluntary moratorium on the item-level RFID tagging of consumer items
    until a formal technology assessment process...can take place." The
    statement, which was endorsed by over 40 of the world's leading privacy and
    civil liberties organizations, is available at
    http://www.spychips.com/jointrfid_position_paper.htm.

    "Perhaps we have now created the bridge to facilitate the talks we need,"
    says Albrecht. "Hopefully, that's the 'silver lining' to this unfortunate
    incident."

    CEO Molpus's complete response, as well as the email evidence, is posted at
    the CASPIAN RFID web sites: http://www.spychips.com.

    Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering (CASPIAN) is a
    grass-roots consumer group fighting retail surveillance schemes since 1999.
    With members in all 50 U.S. states and over 20 nations across the globe,
    CASPIAN seeks to educate consumers about marketing strategies that invade
    their privacy and to encourage privacy-conscious shopping habits across the
    retail spectrum.

    For more information, see http://www.spychips.com and http://www.nocards.org.
    Katherine Albrecht, CASPIAN Founder and Director: (877) 287-5854
    Liz McIntyre, CASPIAN Communications: (877) 287-5854 or liz@private

    ###