[Politech] Senators call for long-overdue upgrade to thomas.loc.gov

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 12:17:16 PST

    Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:43:34 -0800
    To: Dave Farber:;, Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    From: Jim Warren <jwarren@private>
    Subject: fwd: [E-GOV:506] Senators call for Thomas site upgrade

    At 9:56 AM -0500 1/21/04, "Patrice  McDermott" <pmcdermott@private>, of the American Library Association, posted to EGOV-L:

    http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/e_gov/24510-1.html
    Senators call for Thomas site upgrade
    12/24/03
    By Jason Miller,
    GCN Staff

    The Library of Congress' Thomas portal is inadequate in giving
    citizens access to House and Senate information, six senators said in a
    letter to the Librarian of Congress yesterday.

    Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas), Jon Corzine (D-N.J.), Russell Feingold
    (D-Wis.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.) and John
    McCain (R-Ariz.) told James Billington that Thomas was a
    "bare-bones" site with limited searching tools.

    "In our view, the current form of Thomas is insufficient as a portal
    to the Congress," the senators said. "We urge you to upgrade the
    Thomas Web site in order to make available to the public the
    nonproprietary services that are available on the Legislative
    Information System."