[Politech] Justice Ginsburg warns against apathy with a word to the wise

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 06:30:59 PST

    Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:52:17 -0500
    From: "Eric M. Freedman" <lawemf@private>
    Subject: Word to Wise

    January 30, 2004

    Justice Warns Against Civil Rights Apathy

    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Filed at 12:18 a.m. ET

    NEW YORK (AP) -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Thursday
    that people concerned about losing freedom to government anti-terrorism
    efforts should speak out.

    The Supreme Court is taking up several terror-related cases this spring,
    including challenges to the government detention of terror suspects without
    legal rights.

    Ginsburg, speaking to a group of women's rights lawyers, was asked if
    people's rights were in danger.

    ``On important issues, like the balance between liberty and security, if
    the public doesn't care, then the security side is going to overweigh the
    other,'' she said.

    That would change, Ginsburg said, ``if people come forward and say we are
    proud to live in the USA, a land that has been more free, and we want to
    keep it that way.''

    Ginsburg, who argued women's rights cases at the Supreme Court several
    decades before former President Clinton named her to the court in 1993,
    said ``an active public'' made the difference in the victories of feminism.