[Politech] Census Bureau's reply to Washington Times on data release [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 19:55:51 PST

    Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:20:04 -0700
    From: Douglas Sylvester <Douglas.Sylvester@private>
    Subject: Census Response Letter
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
      [priv]

    Dear Declan:

    If you are going to forward the article printed in the Washington Times,
    you should also forward the response letter sent by the Census Bureau. As
    always, we should keep in mind the difference between "personally
    identifiable" and statistically anonymous data.

    Doug Sylvester

    ___________________________________

    The Honorable Adam Putnam
    Chairman, House Subcommittee on Technology,
       Information Policy, Intergovernmental Relations,
        and the Census
    U.S. House of Representatives
    Washington, DC  20515

    Dear Mr. Chairman:

    An article appeared in the Washington Times on January 19, 2004,
    incorrectly implying that confidential census data was used in a NASA
    study to develop ways to profile airline passengers.  Nothing could be
    further from the truth.  Census Bureau employees are explicitly
    prohibited by Title 13 of the U.S. Code from revealing confidential
    census information for any purpose.  Title 13 provides a fine of up to
    $250,000 and up to five years imprisonment for Census Bureau employees
    who violate this statute.  There are no exceptions; there are no
    exemptions.

    I personally want to assure you that the Census Bureau remains committed
    to producing quality statistical data, while upholding its mandate to
    safeguard privacy and protect confidentiality of all individuals who
    share their information with us.

    The 1990 census records reportedly used by NASA come from the Public Use
    Microdata Sample (PUMS) file.  This information does not identify
    individuals and is made public for the purpose of statistical modeling.
    PUMS files do not contain names, addresses or other identifying
    information.  PUMS microdata limit the detail and employ strict
    confidentiality protection measures so that individuals are not
    identified. Microdata are a resource for researchers to create
    tabulations tailored to their particular questions.

    The Census Bureau has produced PUMS data since 1960 in compliance with
    Title 13, United States Code.  The Bureau has created the gold standard
    of federal privacy programs grounded in federal statute that has been in
    place since the 1950's.  Additionally, we continue to employ the latest
    technology and techniques to bolster this protection.

    The Census Bureau is committed to ensuring that public trust is priority
    number one in our every activity as the leading source of quality
    statistics describing America's people and our economy.

    Sincerely,

    Jefferson D. Taylor
    Chief, Congressional Affairs Office