[Politech] Reason's Ron Bailey on alarmist scientists... and reality

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 15:55:56 PST

    I'm a fan of Ron Bailey's careful reporting, and I encourage you to read
    his testimony. More from today's hearing can be found at:
    http://www.house.gov/resources/archives/108/emr/02_04_04.htm

    http://www.reason.com/rb/rb020404.shtml

    Science and Public Policy
    Our man in science goes to Congress

    Ronald Bailey

    [[[ I am testifying at an oversight hearing before the House Subcommittee
    on Energy and Mineral Resources on "The Impact of Science on Public Policy"
    today, Feb. 4, 2004. I was asked to submit testimony about how and why
    environmental predictions have gone wrong. What follows is the written
    version of my testimony. (I get a whole five minutes to speak.) ]]]

    My name is Ronald Bailey. I am the science correspondent for the public
    policy magazine Reason and I have written and reported on scientific and
    environmental policy for more than two decades for various publications. I
    am also an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute and at the Competitive
    Enterprise Institute. I am the author of one book on environmental
    predictions and policy (Eco-Scam: The False Prophets of Ecological
    Apocalypse, St. Martin's Press, 1993). I am also the editor for three books
    on environmental issues: The True State of the Planet, Free Press, 1995;
    Earth Report 2000: Revisiting the True State of the Planet, McGraw-Hill,
    2000; and Global Warming and Other Eco-Myths, Prima Publishing, 2003.

    Since this hearing is devoted to trying to assess the impacts of scientific
    information on public policy, I think that looking back at the forecasts of
    what the state of the planet was predicted to be at the end of the last
    millennium would be a good place to start. Here I will be looking chiefly
    at past predictions dealing with three topics: depletion of nonrenewable
    resources, global population growth and famine, and projected rates of
    species extinction.

    First, let us look at concerns over depleting so-called nonrenewable
    resources. This thesis was most famously propounded in the 1972 Limits to
    Growth report to the Club of Rome and later in President Jimmy Carter's
    Global 2000 report. The Limits to Growth thesis got a big boost when the
    Arab countries unleashed their oil embargo in 1973. It didn't hurt that the
    Limits to Growth report was also featured on the front page of The New York
    Times when it was released. Ultimately, the report sold 10 million copies
    worldwide.

    The Limits to Growth report includes a table listing all the resources that
    were supposedly going to run out. The report's authors projected that, at
    the exponential growth rates they expected to occur, known world supplies
    of zinc, gold, tin, copper, oil, and natural gas would be completely
    exhausted in 1992.

    Harrison Brown, a respected member of the National Academy of Sciences,
    published predictions in Scientific American in 1970 which estimated that
    humanity would totally run out of copper by 2000, and that lead, zinc, tin,
    gold, and silver would all be gone by 1990.

    In 1976, MacArthur Foundation Fellow and Heinz Award in Environment
    laureate Paul Ehrlich chimed in with his book, The End of Affluence. He
    stated that "before 1985 mankind will enter a genuine age of scarcity...in
    which the accessible supplies of many key minerals will be facing
    depletion." In 1980, the Carter administration issued its gloomy Global
    2000 report, which projected that the price of oil in 1995 would be $40 per
    barrel in 1979 dollars.

    In the 1990s, textbooks like The United States and Its People told
    impressionable schoolchildren that "some scientists estimate that the
    world's known supplies of oil, tin, copper, and aluminum will be used up
    within your lifetime." Another textbook, Concepts and Challenges in Earth
    Science, asserts that once "nonrenewable resources are used up, their
    supplies are gone" (just try arguing with logic like that!). A science
    text, Biology, An Everyday Experience, connects the dots to draw the
    obvious conclusion: "Governments must help save our fossil fuel supply by
    passing laws limiting their use."

    I did a series of reports when I was at Forbes magazine in 1990. I went up
    to MIT to interview Professor Jay Forrester and asked him, "I re-read The
    Limits to Growth report; what happened?" Basically, Professor Forrester,
    who was the godfather of this project, looked at me and said, "I think we
    stressed the physical resources side a little too much." Of course, the
    report would not have made it to the front page of The New York Times had
    they not stressed the imminent depletion of nonrenewable resources.

    Even the generally alarmist Worldwatch Institute acknowledged in its 2001
    Vital Signs report: "Nonfuel commodities now fetch only 46 percent as much
    as in the mid-1970s." Indeed, Worldwatch admitted, "food and fertilizer
    prices are about one-fourth their 1974 peak." Even the price of crude oil,
    which has risen in the last couple of years, "nevertheless remains at about
    half the zenith it achieved in 1980." In fact, overall, nonfuel commodities
    cost only a third of what they did in 1900. As everyone knows, lower prices
    generally mean that things are becoming more abundant, not scarcer.

    The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that at present rates of mining, known
    reserves of copper will last 33 years; zinc, 25 years; silver, 14 years;
    tin, 23 years; gold, 16 years; and lead, 23 years. It may sound like
    humanity is running out of these minerals, but the fact is that these
    levels have remained about the same for the past three decades. Just as a
    householder doesn't stock all the groceries she'll need for the rest of her
    life, similarly mining companies don't look for new deposits and open new
    mines or develop new, more efficient, technologies until their larders are
    drawn down. What about oil? The survey estimates that global reserves could
    be as much as 2.1 trillion barrels of crude oil—enough to supply the world
    for the next 90 years.

    Now onto population growth. Let's begin with a little walk down memory
    lane. In 1968 Stanford University biologist, the aforementioned Paul
    Ehrlich, famously predicted in his best-selling book The Population Bomb:
    "The battle to feed all humanity is over. In the 1970s the world will
    undergo famines; hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to
    death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now."

    For the first Earth Day in 1970, Ehrlich, in an article entitled
    "Eco-Catastrophe" in The Progressive magazine, offered a scenario in which
    four billion people would starve to death between 1980 and 1989, 65 million
    of whom would be Americans.

    Ehrlich is not alone in making dire predictions of imminent global famine.
    Lester Brown, the founder of the Worldwatch Institute, declared in 1981
    that "the period of global food security is over. As the demand for food
    continues to press against supply, inevitably real food prices will rise.
    The question no longer seems to be whether they will rise, but how much."
    In 1994, Brown wrote in his annual State of the World report: "The world's
    farmers can no longer be counted on to feed the projected additions to the
    world's population." And Brown warned in his 1997 report: "Food scarcity
    will be the defining issue of the new era now unfolding, much as
    ideological conflict was the defining issue of the historical era that
    recently ended." He continues: "rising food prices will be the first major
    economic indicator to show that the world economy is on an environmentally
    unsustainable path."

    Well, what happened? First, let's review a few things. Why did global
    population increase so dramatically in the 20th century, rising from about
    1.6 billion in 1900 to a bit over six billion today? As Harvard University
    demographer Nicholas Eberstadt puts it: "Global population increased not
    because people started breeding like rabbits, but because they stopped
    dying like flies."

    What happened is that babies stopped dying shortly after being born, as had
    been the case throughout the millennia for human beings. The global infant
    mortality rate dropped from a couple of hundred per thousand to below 50
    per thousand today. The result is that human life expectancy has more than
    doubled from an average of only 30 years in 1900, rising to 46 years by
    1950, and is now 66 years in the year 2001. That is a global figure. The
    World Health Organization thinks life expectancy will increase to 73 years
    on average by the year 2020. I would submit to you that this is truly
    evidence for the greatest improvement of the human condition in all of
    history.

    What about future population trends? One still hears from activists that
    the world population will rise to 12 to 15 billion by 2050, or if they are
    being more cautious—and they have been lately—to that amount by the year
    2100. But there is a lot of evidence to suggest that is very unlikely.

    First let's look back at the predictions made in the 1970s. If famine were
    somehow miraculously avoided, Paul Ehrlich and Lester Brown both predicted
    that world population in 2000 would be seven billion people. In fact, as I
    have already mentioned and as we all know, world population is only a bit
    over six billion. Keep in mind that there is no predictive theory of
    demography. However, everyone acknowledges that the rate of world
    population growth is rapidly decelerating now.

    The United Nations' World Population Prospects, the 2000 revision, has
    dropped its medium world population projections for 2025 to 7.8 billion
    people. Only four years earlier in 1996, it had projected a world
    population in 2025 of 8.4 billion. In other words, 600 million people
    disappeared in only four years. They are not going to be with us. This
    decline in the growth rate is going much faster than many people think.
    According to many other demographers, this impressive drop indicates that
    the world population trends are likely to track the UN's low variant trend,
    in which world population will top out at around 7.5 billion or so in 2040
    and then begin to drop. In fact, if the low variant trend is followed out,
    world population in 2100 would be back to six billion. Even Nature magazine
    in July 2001 published work that concludes that it is exceedingly unlikely
    that world population will ever exceed ten billion people.

    What has happened, of course, is that women are having fewer children than
    they did, dropping from nearly six children per woman in the 1960s to
    around 2.6 today, and that rate continues to fall. The replacement rate is
    2.1 children per woman, and all developed countries have already fallen
    below that, including the United States.

    Of course, the reason that Ehrlich and others predicted demographic
    disaster was their devotion to Malthusian theory. I have always been
    impressed by the fact that ecologists and biologists, for some reason,
    seized upon very early economic theory to inform their initial theories in
    the 19th century, but refuse to listen to economists nowadays. In any case,
    what confounded their predictions of doom is the advent of the Green
    Revolution, which was nurtured by Nobel Peace Prize winner Norman Borlaug
    and his colleagues. The Green Revolution has been summed up as "making two
    blades of grass grow where only one could grow before." Indeed, food
    production has more than doubled since the 1960s.

    By the way, Ehrlich was a great skeptic of the Green Revolution. He was
    quoted in Life magazine saying: "It will soon turn brown." Since 1970 the
    amount of food grown per person globally has increased 26 percent, even as
    the world population nearly doubled. The International Food Policy Research
    Institute recently reported: "World market prices for wheat, maize, and
    rice—adjusted for inflation—are the lowest they have been in the past
    century." In fact, they are all 90 percent lower than they were in 1850.
    People are now paying 10 percent of what people paid in 1850 for their
    food, the basics of life. According to the World Bank, food production did
    increase 60 percent between 1980 and 1997. We can conclude that food is
    cheaper and more abundant than it has ever been in all of human history.

    And more good news: The amount of land devoted to growing crops has barely
    increased over the past 30 years, meaning millions of square miles of land
    have been spared for nature with concomitant benefits for biodiversity
    protection. So, Malthus, Ehrlich, Brown, and many other ecologists were
    spectacularly wrong. More food does not mean more people. In fact, it turns
    out, unfortunately for me, that more food means more fat old people.

    Let me close with a brief tour of past predictions about species
    extinctions. Again the predictions by concerned scientists were way off the
    mark. In 1970, Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian
    Institute, predicted that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent
    of all the species of living animals will be extinct. That is 75 and 80
    percent of all species of living animals would be extinct by 1995. In 1975,
    Paul Ehrlich and his biologist wife, Anne Ehrlich, predicted that "since
    more than nine-tenths of the original tropical rainforests will be removed
    in most areas within the next 30 years or so, it is expected that half of
    the organisms in these areas will vanish with it." It's now 29 years later
    and nowhere near 90 percent of the rainforests have been cut.

    In 1979, Oxford University biologist Norman Myers suggested in his book The
    Sinking Ark that 40,000 species per year were going extinct and that 1
    million species would be gone by the year 2000. Myers suggested that the
    world could "lose one-quarter of all species by the year 2000." At a 1979
    symposium at Brigham Young University, Thomas Lovejoy, who is now the
    president of The H. John Heinz III Center for Science, Economics, and the
    Environment announced that he had made "an estimate of extinctions that
    will take place between now and the end of the century. Attempting to be
    conservative wherever possible, I still came up with a reduction of global
    diversity between one-seventh and one-fifth." Lovejoy drew up the first
    projections of global extinction rates for the Global 2000 Report to the
    President in 1980. If Lovejoy had been right, between 15 and 20 percent of
    all species alive in 1980 would be extinct right now. No one believes that
    extinctions of this magnitude have occurred over the last three decades.

    What did happen? Most species that were alive in 1970 are still around
    today. "Documented animal extinctions peaked in the 1930s, and the number
    of extinctions has been declining since then," according to Stephen
    Edwards, an ecologist with the World Conservation Union, a leading
    international conservation organization whose members are non-governmental
    organizations, international agencies, and national conservation agencies.
    Edwards notes that a 1994 World Conservation Union report found known
    extinctions since 1600 encompassed 258 animal species, 368 insect species,
    and 384 vascular plants. Most of these species were "island endemics" like
    the Dodo. They are particularly vulnerable to habitat disruption, hunting,
    and competition from invading species. Since the establishment of an
    endangered species list only seven species have been declared extinct in
    the United States. Four are freshwater fish: the Tecopa pupfish (1982), the
    Amistad gambusia (1987), the Cisco longjaw (1983), the blue pike (1983); a
    freshwater clam, the Sampson's pearlymussel (1984), and two small birds,
    the dusky seaside sparrow (1990) and the Santa Barbara song sparrow (1983).

    Let me say clearly from a personal perspective that species extinction is
    undesirable and should be avoided when reasonably possible. Extinction
    really is forever. But to put it in perspective, Science magazine just
    published an article called "Prospects for Biodiversity" by Martin Jenkins,
    who works for the United Nations Environment Programme-World Conservation
    Monitoring Center that bears on this topic. Jenkins points out that even if
    the dire projections of extinction rates being made by conservation
    advocates are correct they "will not, in themselves, threaten the survival
    of humans as a species." The Science article notes, "In truth, ecologists
    and conservationists have struggled to demonstrate the increased material
    benefits to humans of 'intact' wild systems over largely anthropogenic ones
    [like farms]....Where increased benefits of natural systems have been
    shown, they are usually marginal and local."

    What are the lessons to be learned from this record of badly exaggerated
    predictions of environmental disaster? First, scientists, even well meaning
    ones, don't know as much as they think they do. They generally go wrong
    because they ignore or misunderstand how human beings interact with the
    natural world and with other people, that is, they are largely ignorant of
    economics. This ignorance constantly leads them astray because as
    biologists and ecologists, they tend to think that human beings are merely
    more clever herds of deer. When deer run out of their sustenance, they die.
    When human beings begin to run out, they turn their brains and their social
    institutions to producing more. Science can tell us what may be problems,
    but it can't tell us what to do about them. Solutions depend on a deep
    understanding of human values, politics, and economics. Scientists are no
    more qualified to pronounce on those topics than their non-scientific
    confreres and fellow citizens.

    Policy makers must be very cautious about rushing to adopt policies to
    respond to alleged environmental crises. As physicist Edward Teller
    reminded us: "Highly speculative theories of worldwide destruction—even of
    the end of life on Earth—used as a call for a particular kind of political
    action serve neither the good reputation of science nor dispassionate
    political thought."

    I hope that I have also made it clear that it is very important to hold
    people to account for their past predictive failures. Also, have patience,
    the scientific process and peer review will eventually point us to the
    truth. Finally, it should be clear that environmentalist advocates keep
    making the same mistake over and over: they constantly underestimate the
    power of technology and science, and underestimate the power of markets to
    solve emerging problems. Thank you for your attention and I would be happy
    to answer any questions.

    For more details please see my articles "Running Out of Evidence: The
    environmental movement's collapsing case that we are running out of natural
    resources" published in November/December 1998 issue of The Philanthropy
    Roundtable. Also see my chapter "The Progress Explosion: Permanently
    Escaping the Malthusian Trap" from Earth Report 2000: Revisiting the True
    State of the Planet, (Free Press, 2000) a version of which was published in
    The National Interest.

    ---

    Ronald Bailey, Reason's science correspondent, is the editor of Global
    Warming and Other Eco Myths (Prima Publishing) and Earth Report 2000:
    Revisiting the True State of the Planet(McGraw-Hill). His new book,
    Liberation Biology: An Ethical and Scientific Defense of the Biotech
    Revolution will be published by Prometheus later this year.