[Politech] Protecting anonymity even when copyright piracy is claimed [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 21:16:24 PST

    Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:57:03 -0500
    From: "Paul Levy" <plevy@private>
    To: <declan@private>
    Subject: Protecting anonymity on line, even when copyright infringement
    	is alleged

    I just wanted to bring you up to date on developments since Public
    Citizen, the ACLU, and EFF filed briefs at the beginning of the week
    arguing that the recording companies had cut too many corners by their
    recent mass infringement lawsuits against hundreds of Doe defendants, in
    courts too far from where the defendants appear to live, and seeking to
    identify the Doe defendants based on evidence submitted about the
    alleged infringements of only a handful of individuals in each case.
    Our main brief is available on the Public Citizen web site at
    http://www.citizen.org/documents/UMGRecordingsvDoeAmicusMemo.pdf; a
    terrific declaration by EFF counsel Wendy Seltzer, showing how the music
    companies could have learned for themselves how far many of the
    defendants live from the courthouses, is at
    http://www.citizen.org/documents/UMGRecordingsAmicusSeltzerDeclaration.pdf

    We have sought to express our views in three different cases, two in
    New York and one in DC.  In the DC case, pending before Judge
    Kollar-Kotelly, the judge has not yet ruled on either our motion for
    leave to file an amicus brief or the plaintiffs' motion for leave to
    serve subpoenas.  The plaintiffs have indicated that they plan to file a
    response to our arguments by the end of next week.  Verizon has given
    assurances that whatever information they have identifying the Doe
    defendants will not be destroyed while the judge gives orderly
    consideration of the matter.

    In the New York case pending before Judge Chin, Judge Chin had
    apparently issued an order allowing discovery before we could file
    anything; however, he gave us permission to boil our arguments down to a
    five page letter, and in reaction to our letter he has issued an
    additional order indicating that the concerns we raised would ONLY be
    considered if either the ISP (Cablevision) or one of the Doe defendants
    filed a motion to quash the subpoena.  Although this is not ideal (after
    all, if the court doesn't have personal jurisdiction because the
    defendasnt does not llive in New York, why should the defendant be under
    the burden to file in the first place?), but it is progress.  It remains
    to be seen whether Cablevision will move to quash, meeting the standard
    set by Verizon in seeking to protect its customers' right to fair
    process.

    In the New York case pending before Judge Sprizzo, we have not yet been
    allowed even to file our motion for leave to file an amicus brief
    because Judge Sprizzo, like many federal judges in New York, requires a
    "pre-motion conference" before a motion, even a motion for leave to file
    a brief, can be filed.  We have provided Judge Sprizzo with a short
    explanation of why we want to file a brief, and he has set a pre-motion
    conference to be held on Tuesday afternoon.

    A copy of the joint press release issued by Public Citizen, EFF and
    ACLU can be accessed at
    http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1636.

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group