[Politech] Congrats to Isle of Man: Zero taxes for the space industry

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 21:09:56 PST

    Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:47:27 -0800 (PST)
    From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>, Dave Farber <dave@private>
    Subject: Isle of Man Government Launches Zero Tax for the Space Industry

    Administration Division
    Government Offices, Douglas,
    Isle of  Man, British Isles.
    IM1 3PU

    Telephone: (01624) 685586 (01624) 685584
    Fax: (01624) 685662

    The Treasury

    Yn Tashtey
    Chief Financial Officer

    Mr M Shimmin, CPFA.
    Administrator : Miss K Corlett

    News Release

    Under strict embargo until 11.30 a.m. on Tuesday, 17th February, 2004

    ISLE OF MAN LAUNCHES ZERO TAX FOR SPACE INDUSTRY

    THE Isle of Man is positioning itself as a centre serving 21st century
    technology by extending its zero rate of corporate income tax to
    businesses involved in the space and satellite industry.

    The move was announced by Island's Treasury Minister Allan Bell when
    he presented the Manx Government's annual budget today (Tuesday,
    February 17, 2004).

    The Isle of Man already has a zero tax regime for a number of
    industries - including shipping, insurance and fund management - and
    is moving to a standard zero rate for business in 2006.

    Said Mr Bell: "I intend to extend the existing zero-rate to new
    opportunities as and when they arise. A small but exceedingly
    promising area is Space and Satellite Technology. This will encompass
    the manufacture, operation, sale or other activities provided in
    respect of launch vehicles, satellites or similar assets, including
    those educational and other training activities that are directly
    associated with the industry.

    "A two-day course for representatives from the Island's business
    community and other interested parties will be given by the
    International Space University from Strasbourg at the International
    Business School in May 2004 and will provide an opportunity to impart

    detailed knowledge of the space industry and the business
    opportunities it affords the Island's economy.

    "Companies involved in this high value added category, will from 6
    April 2004 be included in the growing number of activities that
    already benefit from the zero rate band of tax. I am extremely hopeful
    that high technology businesses will look to the Isle of Man as their
    preferred location, and know that the Treasury and the Department of
    Trade and Industry are working to further develop relations with
    several multi-national companies.  One such company that provides a
    range of global communications services via its network of satellites
    has already established a base on the Island.  Such developments fit
    perfectly within our economic plans and are made possible by the new
    taxation strategy."

    The Isle of Man is a Crown Dependency in the British Isles.  The
    Island is one of the world's largest offshore banking, financial
    services, and insurance industry centres.  It is also home to a
    growing commercial shipping register and a small but focused space and
    aerospace manufacturing industry.  The Isle of Man is a member of the
    WTO, OECD, IMF, and holds special membership of the EU.

      This year the Isle of Man Government celebrates 1,025 years of
    uninterrupted continuous democratic home rule.

    Ends

    Media enquiries: Alistair Ramsay (44) 1624 686243