[Politech] Two major parties are huge voter database users [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 21:14:43 PST

    Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:35:49 -0500
    From: Monty Solomon <monty@private>
    Subject: The Very, Very Personal Is the Political

    The Very, Very Personal Is the Political

    By JON GERTNER
    February 15, 2004

    Suppose, for the sake of argument, that you are called into the
    boss's office and asked to help sell the citizens of the United
    States on one of two presidential candidates in the 2004 campaign.
    Hard work, but what makes it especially tough is that you've been
    directed to try something experimental, something that's never been
    done before in a national election. Instead of creating a traditional
    political narrative for your candidate -- one that highlights
    charisma or character, for instance, or one that hews to a message on
    taxes or Social Security -- you've been told to focus on nothing but
    the people who might be persuaded to vote. In other words, forget
    about your candidate's nuanced ideas for space exploration or ending
    the conflict in Iraq. Forget about TV commercials, forget about
    radio, forget about debates, forget about the ups and downs of the
    news cycle. Think voters -- just voters. And don't think only in
    terms of big demographic groups like senior citizens, middle-class
    white men or young single women; don't think about them only in terms
    of geographical areas like districts or precincts or even
    neighborhoods. Think about what they like, what they do, what they
    consume. Think about them one by one. Name by name, address by
    address, phone by phone.

    These are the customers you have to get to buy your Brand A over
    Brand B. So who are they? Where are they? Are they rich, with three
    kids and a jumbo mortgage? Do they own fly rods and drive minivans?
    Do they go to church or temple? And maybe most important, who among
    them has never voted, or rarely voted, or voted in ways that may
    deserve the special status of swing voter? To do the job right, of
    course, to really win this thing, you've got to find them, woo them
    and get them to the polls. Where to start?

    These days, the first stop is a comprehensive database of U.S.
    voters. There are fewer than half a dozen of them. One, named Voter
    Vault, belongs to the Republican National Committee; another, named
    Datamart, belongs to the Democratic National Committee. Over the past
    few years, thanks to technological advances and an escalating arms
    race between the parties, Republicans and Democrats have gone to
    great lengths to make campaigning more like commercial marketing.
    Moreover, both parties have begun to sort through their troves of
    information in order to identify and then court individual voters.
    Variations on the new political sharpshooting have been tested
    successfully by the Republican and Democratic Parties in several
    recent statewide elections. And over the next few months, a handful
    of pollsters, tacticians and statisticians on each side, almost
    certainly fewer than two dozen political pros in all, will be
    scrutinizing socioeconomic data in Washington and Virginia as a part
    of their targeting work -- sometimes they also call it microtargeting
    -- in the coming general election.

    This is a complicated business. Each party's databank has the name of
    every one of the 168 million or so registered voters in the country,
    cross-indexed with phone numbers, addresses, voting history, income
    range and so on -- up to as many as several hundred points of data on
    each voter. The information has been acquired from state
    voter-registration rolls, census reports, consumer data-mining
    companies and direct marketing vendors. The parties have also amassed
    detailed information about the political and social beliefs that you
    might have shared with canvassers who have phoned or knocked on the
    door over the past few years. While specifics vary, a typical voter
    profile like my own, for instance, would show my age, address, phone
    numbers; which elections I've voted in over the past 10 or 15 years
    and whether I've ever voted on an absentee ballot; and my e-mail
    address. It would include my New Jersey party registration
    (Democrat), whether I've ever made a political donation (none that I
    recall), my approximate income, my ethnicity, my marital status and
    the number of children living in my house. Thanks to the ready
    availability of subscriber lists, mortgage data and product warranty
    information, the parties might use records of the newspapers I read
    (this one), the computer I work on (a Macintosh), the men's-wear
    catalogs I receive (Brooks Brothers, Land's End) and the
    loan-to-value ratio of my home.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/15/magazine/15VOTERS.html