[Politech] California politico wants to regulate RFID tags [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 15:58:14 PST

    This follows a related manifesto a few months ago from the pro-regulatory
    wing of the privacy community (CASPIAN, ACLU, EFF, EPIC, etc.):
    >http://www.rfidprivacy.org/papers/givens_paper.htm
    >Individuals have a right to know when products or items in the retail
    >environment contain RFID tags or readers. They also have the right to know
    >the technical specifications of those devices. Labeling must be clearly
    >displayed and easily understood.  Any tag reading that occurs in the
    >retail environment must be transparent to all parties. There should be no
    >tag-reading in secret.

    ---

    Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:12:17 -0800
    To: Dave Farber:;, Declan McCullagh <declan@private>,
             State and Local Freedom of Information Issues
    <FOI-L@private>,
             calfoilist@private
    From: Jim Warren <jwarren@private>
    Subject: Re: Bowen Proposes First-in-Nation RFID Standards

    A California state Senator has proposed some privacy requirements for the
    use of RFID tags.  These tiny tags are being rapidly deployed by more and
    more retailers to [covertly] track each individual product that anyone
    purchases or otherwise uses.

    (Such RFID tagging systems have also been proposed for various possible
    uses by government agencies.)

    [Note:  Sen. Bowen is also the person who, as an upstart freshman member of
    California legislature's lower house -- the State Assembly -- introduced
    the bill (AB1624) that ultimately made Calif the first state in the nation
    to open all of its already-computerized public legislative records to free
    online access via the Internet ... legislation that was later copied by
    numerous other states (as can be seen by their duplication of some unusual
    phrasing used in AB1624 to describe the then-"unknown" Internet).  She
    later went on to fight for filing required campaign-finance disclosures in
    computerized form and placing them on the net, as well as numerous other
    open-government, open-records and personal-privacy protection legislation.]

    --jim
    Jim Warren; jwarren@private, public-policy advocate & technology writer
    345 Swett, Woodside CA 94062; 650-851-7075; fax/off due to spam-glut

    [self-inflating puffery: InfoWorld founder; Dr.Dobb's Journal first editor;
    Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Cal.James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award;
    Electronic Frontier Foundation Pioneer Award (1992, its first year);
    Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award (1994);
    founded the Computers, Freedom & Privacy Conferences; blah blah blah]