[Politech] Greenspan on the Internet, intellectual property rights [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 20:42:21 PST

    http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/speeches/2004/200402272/default.htm

    Remarks by Chairman Alan Greenspan
    Intellectual property rights
    At the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research Economic Summit,
    Stanford, California
    February 27, 2004

    [...]

    More generally, in the realm of physical production, where scarce resources are
    critical inputs, each additional unit of output is usually more costly to
    produce than the previous one; that is, production, at least eventually, is
    characterized by increasing marginal cost. By contrast, in the realm of
    conceptual output, much of production is characterized by constant, and perhaps
    even zero, marginal cost.

    For example, though the set-up cost of creating an on-line encyclopedia may be
    enormous, the cost of reproduction and distribution may be near zero if the
    means of distribution is the Internet. The emergence of an electronic platform
    for the transmission of ideas at negligible marginal cost may, therefore, be an
    important factor explaining the recent increased conceptualization of the GDP.
    The demand for conceptual products is clearly impeded to a much smaller degree
    by rising marginal cost than is the demand for physical products.

    But regardless of its causes, conceptualization is irreversibly increasing the
    emphasis on the protection of intellectual, relative to physical, property
    rights. Before World War I, markets in this country were essentially uninhibited
    by government regulations, but they were supported by rights to property, which
    in those years largely meant physical property. Intellectual property--patents,
    copyrights, and trademarks--represented a far less important component of the
    economy, which was mainly agricultural. One of the most significant inventions
    of the nineteenth century was the cotton gin. Perhaps it was a harbinger of
    things to come that the intellectual-property content of the cotton gin was
    never effectively protected from copiers.

    Only in recent decades, as the economic product of the United States has become
    so predominantly conceptual, have issues related to the protection of
    intellectual property rights come to be seen as significant sources of legal and
    business uncertainty. In part, this uncertainty derives from the fact that
    intellectual property is importantly different from physical property. Because
    they have a material existence, physical assets are more capable of being
    defended by police, the militia, or private mercenaries. By contrast,
    intellectual property can be stolen by an act as simple as broadcasting an idea
    without the permission of the originator. Moreover, one individual's use of an
    idea does not make that idea unavailable to others for their own simultaneous
    use. Even more importantly, new ideas--the building blocks of intellectual
    property--almost invariably build on old ideas in ways that are difficult or
    impossible to trace. From an economic perspective, this provides a rationale for
    making calculus, developed initially by Leibnitz and Newton, freely available,
    despite the fact that those insights have immeasurably increased wealth over the
    generations. Should we have protected their claim in the same way that we do for
    owners of land? Or should the law make their insights more freely available to
    those who would build on them, with the aim of maximizing the wealth of the
    society as a whole? Are all property rights inalienable, or must they conform to
    a reality that conditions them?

    These questions bedevil economists and jurists, for they touch on some
    fundamental principles governing the organization of a modern economy and,
    hence, its society. Whether we protect intellectual property as an inalienable
    right or as a privilege vouchsafed by the sovereign, such protection inevitably
    entails making some choices that have crucial implications for the balance we
    strike between the interests of those who innovate and those who would benefit
    from innovation.

    In the case of physical property, we take it for granted that the ownership
    right should have the potential of persisting as long as the physical object
    itself. In the case of an idea, however, we have chosen to strike a different
    balance in recognition of the chaos that could follow from having to trace back
    all the thoughts implicit in one's current undertaking and pay a royalty to the
    originator of each one. So rather than adopting that principled but obviously
    unworkable approach, we have chosen instead to follow the lead of British common
    law and place time limits on intellectual property rights.

    It is, thus, no surprise that, as a result of the increasing conceptualization
    of our GDP over the decades, the protection of intellectual property has become
    an important element in the ongoing deliberations of both economists and jurists.

    Of particular current relevance to our economy overall is the application of
    property right protection to information technology. A noticeable component of
    the surge in the trend growth of the economy in recent years arguably reflects
    the benefits that we have derived from the synergy of laser and fiber optic
    technologies in the 1960s and 1970s. This synergy has produced very little that
    is tangible in information technology. Yet the information flow that it
    facilitates has fostered the creation of vast amounts of wealth. The dramatic
    gains in information technology have markedly improved the ability of businesses
    to identify and address incipient economic imbalances before they inflict
    significant damage. These gains reflect new advances in both the physical and
    the conceptual realms. It is imperative to find the appropriate intellectual
    property regime for each.

    * * *

    If our objective is to maximize economic growth, are we striking the right
    balance in our protection of intellectual property rights? Are the protections
    sufficiently broad to encourage innovation but not so broad as to shut down
    follow-on innovation? Are such protections so vague that they produce
    uncertainties that raise risk premiums and the cost of capital? How appropriate
    is our current system--developed for a world in which physical assets
    predominated--for an economy in which value increasingly is embodied in ideas
    rather than tangible capital? The importance of such questions is perhaps most
    readily appreciated here in Silicon Valley. Rationalizing the differences
    between intellectual property rights as defined and enforced in the United
    States and those of our trading partners has emerged as a seminal issue in our
    trade negotiations.

    If the form of protection afforded to intellectual property rights affects
    economic growth, it must do so by increasing the underlying pace of output per
    labor hour, our measure of productivity growth. Ideas are at the center of
    productivity growth. Multifactor productivity by definition attempts to capture
    product innovations and insights in the way that capital and labor are organized
    to produce output. Ideas are also embodied directly in the capital that we
    employ. In essence, the growth of productivity attributable to factors other
    than indigenous natural resources and labor skill, is largely a measure of the
    contribution of ideas to economic growth and to our standards of living.

    Understanding the interplay of ideas and economic growth should be an area of
    active economic analysis, which for so many generations has focused mainly on
    physical things. This work will not be easy. Even as straightforward an issue as
    isolating the effect of the length of patents on overall economic growth, a
    prominent issue recently before our Supreme Court, poses obvious formidable
    challenges. Still, we must begin the important work of developing a framework
    capable of analyzing the growth of an economy increasingly dominated by
    conceptual products.

    ###