[Politech] An election judge replies to Politech over secure e-voting

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 10:20:30 PST

    Subject: Re: [Politech] First-hand report of problems with "secure" e-voting
    Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:35:00 -0600
    From: César I. BENAVIDES C.
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Declan:

    Please remove my e-mail address if you choose to post this message.

    I'm an election judge for this Primary Election for a precinct in central
    Texas so I thought I'd pipe in.  Fraud and human error are always threats in
    an electoral process, but I believe that we should be looking at these
    elections and comparing the respective error rates of electronic and paper
    systems before we as an electorate determine which system is safer overall.
    This process of comparison will take time.  Personally, I'd prefer to see
    more of a paper trail associated with eVoting to make the process more
    accountable, but these are not the concerns brought up by your anonymous
    reader.  At any rate, my county uses a Hart eSlate system instead of the
    Diebold system your reader describes, but the many of the set-up procedures
    are similar.

    Voting machines are typically dropped off at polling sites a day or two
    before an election (Super Tuesday in the case brought up by your reader in
    Georgia, I believe).  The machines are inoperative for voting purposes until
    they are set-up and connected to a dedicated computer that the election
    judge brings with him/her on election day.  In the Diebold system, the
    judge's computer loads "ballots" into the machine at setup, then downloads
    the results when the polls close.

    The "zip tie" tags are seals with unique serial numbers that are checked and
    verified during set-up; any sign of tampering and that particular machine
    isn't used.  I reckon that repairing a broken plastic seal is beyond the
    abilities of most meddlers.

    The provisional voting box your reader mentions holds supplies for a
    paper-based voting system (electronic in some jurisdictions) meant to allow
    people who aren't listed on the voter rolls to vote anyway.  A provisional
    ballot is counted later if and only if the voter is found to be eligible
    after the appropriate election official researches the matter.  This is a
    procedure designed to prevent the problems that came up when voters
    complained of being disenfranchised during the last presidential election in
    Florida.

    The other box your reader mentions likely holds supplies for the election
    judges such as tape, pens, and forms needed by the judges to handle
    contingencies.

    Here is a link to a recent position paper on voting systems in Georgia that
    addresses electronic voting security issues in that state in more detail:
    http://www.commoncause.org/states/georgia/evs.htm

    Here is a link to the text of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) which
    addresses some of the issues brought up by your reader:
    http://vote.nist.gov/hr3295.pl107252.final.pdf

    Here is a link to a site with general eVoting information and related links
    to useful position papers:
    http://vote.nist.gov/index.html

    -c