[Politech] Peter Suber's list of references of Fed pressure on publishers [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 21:05:36 PST

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Feds warn IEEE editors of criminal prosecution  re: Iran
    articles [fs]
    Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:46:31 -0500
    From: Peter Suber <peters@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    At 08:45 AM 3/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
    [...]

    Declan,
           I track this issue, among others, in my newsletter
    <http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm> and blog
    <http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html> on open access to science
    and scholarship.  In the newsletter issue that mailed this morning, I
    listed the following articles and news developments from the past month
    alone, in rough chronological order.  In each case, the first URL is for
    the source and the second for the blog posting about it.

    Potter Wickware, US pressures publishers to honor trade embargoes , Nature
    Medicine, February 2004.
    http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nm/journal/v10/n2/full/nm0204-109a.html
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_01_fosblogarchive.html#a107592341906777460

    Also see the editorial, Trading Scientific Freedom, in the same issue of
    Nature Medicine.
    http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nm/journal/v10/n2/full/nm0204-107a.html
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_01_fosblogarchive.html#a107592341906777460

    The AAP Professional and Scholarly Publishers Division (PSP) released a
    public letter criticizing the U.S. Treasury Department for applying trade
    embargoes to scientific publications.
    http://www.pspcentral.org/committees/executive/OFAC_background.doc
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_08_fosblogarchive.html#a107679236529521931

    On February 9, at the invitation of the IEEE, David Mills addressed a
    "summit" of scholarly publishers on the intersection of U.S. trade law and
    freedom of the press. Mills is the Treasury Department official in charge
    of licensing U.S. journals to edit articles by citizens of Cuba, Iran,
    Libya, Sudan, and other embargoed nations.
    http://www.ieee.org/portal/index.jsp?pageID=corp_level1&path=about&file=summitnewsrelease.xml&xsl=generic.xsl
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_15_fosblogarchive.html#a107697302061955777

    Lila Guterman, Chemical Society Lifts Moratorium on Publishing Papers From
    Embargoed Countries, Chronicle of Higher Education, February 19, 2004. On
    the decision by the American Chemical Society to edit and publish articles
    by authors from embargoed nations.
    http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2004/02/2004021902n.htm
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_15_fosblogarchive.html#a107719932225387235

    Kevin Coughlin, Chemists to accept reports from Iran, Newark Star-Ledger,
    February 19, 2004.
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1077174649176050.xml
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_15_fosblogarchive.html#a107719932225387235

    Geoff Brumfiel, Publishers split over response to US trade embargo ruling,
    Nature, February 19, 2004.
    http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/Dynapage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v427/n6976/full/427663a_fs.html
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_15_fosblogarchive.html#a107720424074727278

    Mary Curtius, U.S. Embargos [sic] Extended to Editing Articles, Los Angeles
    Times, February 21, 2004.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-embargo21feb21,1,2798779.story?coll=la-headlines-nation
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_15_fosblogarchive.html#a107738475068716609

    Sophie Rovner, ACS Ends Limited Publishing Moratorium, Chemical and
    Engineering News 82, 8 (February 23, 2004) 6.
    http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8208/8208notw5.html
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_22_fosblogarchive.html#a107764337183548374

    Society lifts publishing ban on nations facing U.S. sanctions, Nature, 427,
    770, February 26, 2004.
    http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v427/n6977/full/427770a_fs.html
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_22_fosblogarchive.html#a107764337183548374

    Adam Liptak, Treasury Department Is Warning Publishers of the Perils of
    Criminal Editing of the Enemy, New York Times, February 28, 2004.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/28/national/28PUBL.html?th=&pagewanted=print&position=
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_02_22_fosblogarchive.html#a107797289293841166

    --I sketch my own views briefly in the November 2003 issue of my
    newsletter,
    <http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/11-02-03.htm#embargoes>.

           Best wishes,
           Peter

    Peter Suber
    Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
    Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
    Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
    Editor, Open Access News blog
    http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
    peter.suber@private