[Politech] Ricin recipes, redacted U.S. patents, and the war on terror [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 21:48:40 PST

    Subject: re: Debunking a myth: Internet recipe lets you make ricin
    Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:09:13 -0400
    From: Poindexter@SAFe-mail.net
    To: 70743.1711@private
    CC: jya@private, declan@private, cypherpunks@private

    >One of the great received wisdoms of the war on terror is that deadly
    recipes are available worldwide courtesy of the Internet. In the context of
    information on ricin, the meme presents
    regularly in the big media.

       <snip>

    >Finally, the mythology of the recipe for ricin exposes one of the most
    nettlesome ironies of instantaneous world wide communication. Although it
    has always been promised that the ubiquity of networked computing would
    enable a host of alternative information sources, what is
    found is that -- in practice and when push comes to shove -- the allegedly
    vast ocean of alternatives all say the same thing, with only minor
    variations, all drawing from the same text, the same myth.

    The IIR #chemistry channel:
    >From our WoMD series: Practical ricin preparation complements a now redacted US patent 3,060,165 https://www.meshmx.com/fe/download_get.php?file=FE:3260610bc13ef573d9103c16e90bac53bead0eea

    John Poindexter
    Director