[Politech] Replies to IEEE USA's relatively protectionst views -- or not

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 21:37:00 PST

    Subject: Re: [Politech] IEEE's relatively protectionst views on offshoring
    Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:37:05 -0500
    From: Steven Cherry <s.cherry@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Declan, your subject line prompts me to note that the IEEE-USA is one
    organization within the IEEE. More than half, but fewer than
    two-thirds of all IEEE members are located in the U.S. The long-term
    trend is a faster increase in non-North American membership.

    That said, I'm not sure how fair it is to call IEEE-USA's position
    "protectionist." They're concerned with the huge and rather sudden
    jump in electrical engineering unemployment, all out of synch with
    the economy as a whole. When EE unemployment is significantly bigger
    than the national average, despite historically being half as large
    or even less, something troubling is going on. Increased outsourcing
    is one concern, there are plenty of others.

       Steven

       Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566
       Senior Associate Editor
       IEEE Spectrum, 3 Park Ave,  New York, NY 10016
       <s.cherry@private>  <http://www.spectrum.ieee.org>