[Politech] Another round on IPI and "attacks of open-sourcers" [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 21:30:56 PDT

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Replies to IPI fending off "attacks of
    open-sourcers" [ip]
    Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:34:25 -0400
    From: Tony Lauck <tlauck@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    CC: politech@private, wsimpson@private

    OSI failed for a number of reasons, but none of these involved billions
    of dollars being spent by telephone companies or other organizations on
    proprietary products.   OSI was an unsuccessful attempt to develop a set
    of publicly available international standards which could be used by
    anyone to build interoperable networks.

    OSI failed because it overreached the technical possibilities of its
    time, and attempted to do so within the straight-jacket of a
    bureaucratic multi-level international standardization process.  In
    addition to being slow, this process continually added complexity as a
    method of political compromise.  TCP/IP succeeded because it avoided the
    “second system syndrome” and because it had a small core of visionaries
    and decision makers who were able to keep most unneeded complexity out
    of the architecture until after it had achieved critical mass in the
    marketplace.  Early U.S. Government funding was critical to creating and
    sustaining this critical mass.

    Those pondering transition of central control of the Internet to
    international organizations ought to ponder the history of OSI.

    Tony Lauck
    Manager of Network Architecture at Digital Equipment Corp., 1978-1994