[Politech] FTC convenes "spyware" workshop... with scant results

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 21:36:49 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5195222.html

    Few solutions pop up at FTC adware workshop
    Last modified: April 19, 2004, 7:04 PM PDT
    By Declan McCullagh

    WASHINGTON--Spyware, adware and other code that lurks on hard drives has
    become so pervasive it's bedeviling home users, driving corporate
    technology managers to distraction and has become the top complaint in
    customer service calls to computer makers.

    But participants in a one-day workshop convened Monday by the Federal
    Trade Commission couldn't decide what to do about it.

    Software companies warned of poorly written laws targeting spyware that
    could inadvertently affect legitimate products like smut-filtering
    software or security update mechanisms. Microsoft suggested that
    technology in a forthcoming Windows XP Service Pack might do the trick,
    while other participants touted third-party rating systems and voluntary
    codes of conduct.

    Politicians and their aides defended laws targeting spyware, citing the
    example of last year's federal law regulating spam. But some advertising
    companies claim their business model is perfectly legitimate, and law
    enforcement representatives acknowledged they already had sufficient
    legal authority under computer crime laws to put the most noxious
    spyware makers in prison.

    When asked whether new laws were needed to place spyware authors in
    prison, Mark Eckenwiler, a senior computer crime prosecutor at the U.S.
    Justice Department, replied: "By and large, the answer is no. In our
    quiver, we have a number of arrows we can use in prosecutions."

    While spyware and adware started to become a public concern about a year
    ago, only in the past few months have some variants become the Internet
    equivalent of Public Enemy No. 1.

    [...remainder snipped...]