[Politech] Four examples of what Liz Figueroa's anti-Google bill would do [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 11:19:07 PDT

    One more from Anonymous: "It would prohibit the searching of webmail,
    which requires examination of contents."

    Subject: Re: [Politech] What would Liz Figueroa's anti-Google bill
    really do?	[priv]
    Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:36:35 -0400
    From: David Sklar <sklar@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

     > Is there anything I'm missing?

    Depends on how broad/narrow you want to read "review,
    examine, or otherwise evaluate the content of".

    Here are some more:

    * Reading X-Mailing-List type headers to manage automatic mailing list
    subscription/unsubscription information?

    * Encoding HTML entities in text/plain message bodies so that they don't
      show up as HTML in the browser? Maybe that's "managing ... other
    malicious programs" (i.e. to prevent some JavaScript XSS attack), maybe not.

    * Turning ":)" in an IM into a smiley graphic?

    I'm sure others can come up with plenty of other examples, too.

    David