[Politech] Australian state considers deleting info from gv't websites [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 21:09:55 PDT

    Subject: Article: NSW considers limits on govt website
    Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:20:02 +1000
    From: Red Wolf <redwolf@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Never mind that the supposed terrorism target is just another propaganda
    campaign from the PM to scare people into voting for him, just like his
    dodgy 'children overboard' scandal last time around and that the
    information is freely available at any library.

    It looks like the NSW state government is planning to follow the US lead
    of yanking information from government web sites to push the public
    further into the dark.

    I think it's a safe bet than the information to go will be anything that
    could possibly link the state premier to his dodgy dealings with developers.

    Red Wolf

    --
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1096124.htm

    April 28, 2004

    NSW considers limits on govt website

    The New South Wales Cabinet committee on counter terrorism will today
    consider restricting the range of information available on government
    websites.

    The move comes after evidence in a court case last week that a man
    charged with terrorism offences had used government websites to get
    maps, data and satellite images of potential targets.

    Premier Bob Carr says the committee will seek to strike a balance
    between safeguarding security and maintaining the social benefits of
    providing information to the public.

    "If there is any way we can meet our counter terrorism demands and
    objectives by tightening up, without infringing on the right of the
    public to know and the efficiency that comes with that, then we'll look
    at it," he said.

    --
    redwolf at redwolf dot com dot au
    www dot redwolf dot com dot au                        ____/\