[Politech] Ten years later, Congress still in a snit about smut [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 13:41:55 PDT

    [In 1994, then-Sen. Jim Exon, D-Neb., introduced the Communications
    Decency Act. It became law in January 1996 as part of the
    telecommunications act and was immediately challenged by the ACLU and
    the ALA. I had the good fortune to be a plaintiff in that lawsuit,
    which ultimately was wildly successful. Since then we've seen COPA,
    CIPA, COPPA, CPPA, and now this hearing on May 6. Has Congress learned
    anything in 10 years? --Declan]

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Wednesday, April 28, 2004

    CONTACT: Samantha Jordan (Barton), (202) 225-5735
    	          Paul Flusche (Stearns), (202) 225-5744

    Subcommittee Announces Hearing
    On Online Pornography:
    "Closing the Doors on Pervasive Smut"

    WASHINGTON (April 23) - U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., chairman of the
    House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer
    Protection, has scheduled a hearing for Thursday, May 6 at 10 a.m. in room
    2322 of the Rayburn House Office Building entitled, "Online Pornography:
    Closing the Doors on Pervasive Smut."

    A witness list has not been finalized.

    # # #