[Politech] FTC officials irk Congress by suggesting "anti-spyware" law unnecessary

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 21:32:51 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023_3-5202016.html

    FTC officials blast spyware measures
    Last modified: April 29, 2004, 11:30 AM PDT
    By Declan McCullagh
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

    Two Federal Trade Commission officials ignited a political firestorm on
    Thursday by criticizing proposed laws targeting spyware and suggesting
    that the measures might harm legitimate software products, too.

    During an appearance before a House of Representatives panel, FTC
    Commissioner Mozelle Thompson said the measures were the wrong approach
    to spyware and adware. "I do not believe legislation is the answer at
    this time," he said. "Instead, we should give industry the time to
    respond...Self-regulation combined with enforcement of existing laws
    might be the best way to go."

    Members of the Energy and Commerce subcommittee on consumer protection
    reacted angrily to the advice, accusing Thompson and Howard Beales,
    director of the FTC's bureau of consumer protection, of being the only
    Americans who enjoyed having their computers infected by spyware and adware.

    [...remainder snipped...]