[Politech] Cato's Adam Thierer criticizes EPIC's anti-Google "lunacy" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 06:40:35 PDT

    Subject: RE: [Politech] EPIC letter compares Gmail to FBI's Carnivore,
    Total Information Awareness [priv]
    Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:16:54 -0400
    From: Adam Thierer <athierer@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Oh brother, I can't take this lunacy from the privacy absolutists anymore:

    (1) What part of VOLUNTARY is it that these privacy fundamentalists do
    not understand? How many times and in how many ways must it be said: YOU
    DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR THIS FREE SERVICE!

    (2) Second, these privacy absolutists persistently attempt to equate
    private sector privacy concerns and government privacy violations. There
    is a world of difference between the two and it basically comes down to
    the fact that governments hold guns to our heads and coercively force us
    to do certain things against our will. That is the real Big Brother
    problem. Google, by contrast, isn't holding a gun to anyone's head and
    forcing them to sign up.

    (3) If you're concerned about how government might co-opt this service
    for its own nefarious ends, that is not a Google problem, that is a Big
    Government problem. Let's work together to properly limit the
    surveillance powers of government instead of shutting down any new
    private service or technology that we feel the feds might have to chance
    to abuse.

    (4) Final point about these privacy fanatics: Do they not believe in
    freedom of contract? Do I or do I not have a right to contract with a
    company to exchange certain forms of personal information for a the
    right to free e-mail access and storage? Can I not VOLUNTARILY agree to
    such a deal? If not, then I fear that there are a heck of lot of things
    in this world that these people would make illegal in the name of
    "protecting privacy."

    Do they believe that companies like Google will - - out of the goodness
    of their hearts - - just hand over free e-mail services and massive
    storage capacity to everyone without anything in exchange? There is no
    free lunch in this world but Google is giving us about the closest thing
    to it. And yet, the privacy fanatics want to reject that offer on the
    behalf over everyone in society. Well guess what EPIC... you don't speak
    for me and a lot of other people in this world who will be more than
    happy to cut this deal with Google. So do us a favor and don't ask the
    government to shut down a service just because you don't like it.
    Privacy is a subjective condition and your value preferences are not
    representative of everyone else's values in our diverse nation. Stop
    trying to coercively force your values and choices on others. We can
    decide these things on our own, thank you very much.

    - - Adam Thierer, Director of Telecommunications Studies, Cato Institute