[Politech] David Burt on "breast" filtering and IBB keyword list [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 21:41:09 PDT

    Subject: RE: [Politech] Weekly column: U.S. blunders with China,Iran
    keyword blacklist [fs]
    Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 09:27:23 -0700
    From: Burt,David <david_burt@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Declan,

    We've been talking about word filtering since the mid-90s, and it amazes me
    that there are still programmers that think relying on simple keyword
    filtering is a good idea.

    Keyword filtering can be useful when used in conjunction with other factors,
    such as links to known porn sites, number of images, number of pop-ups,
    keyword spamming, and a host of other factors that can provide an accurate
    (though not perfect) "signature" for a commercial porn sites for automatic
    detection.

    But simply relying on detection of words like "breast" doesn't work any
    better in 2004 than it did in 1994 when this type of filtering was first
    employed.

    David Burt
    Public Relations Manager

    Secure Computing(r)
    Securing connections between people, applications, and networks(tm)
    www.securecomputing.com
    NASDAQ: SCUR

    1-206-892-1130 (Direct Phone)
    1-800-971-2622 (Main Phone)
    1-206-683-9508 (Mobile Phone)
    1-206-834-1788 (Fax)
    David_Burt@private

    Secure Computing Corporation, Seattle Office
    900 Fourth Avenue, Suite 3600
    Seattle, WA 98164
    USA