[Politech] Cypress' TJ Rodgers speaks on politics, offshoring, and Republicrats

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 20:03:24 PDT

    [This is one of the most interesting interviews I've done in a while.
    The full text is worth reading and has better formatting (click on the
    link). --Declan]

    http://news.com.com/2008-1006_3-5215272.html

    Chip off the block
    May 18, 2004, 12:33 PM PT
    By Declan McCullagh

    Unlike your garden-variety Silicon Valley CEO, Cypress Semiconductor's
    T.J. Rodgers is not shy about speaking his mind as an equal-opportunity
    critic. Over the years, this plain-spoken entrepreneur has publicly
    skewered sundry political and industry figures he believes to be
    peddling humbug--and that includes lobbing verbal bombshells in the
    direction of both major political parties. Along the way, he's taken on
    the likes of Jesse Jackson, Bill Clinton and Larry Ellison.

    For his day job, Rodgers is the founding CEO of Cypress, which
    manufactures more than 400 types of integrated circuits, with an
    emphasis on products useful in communications applications. Included in
    its product line: microprocessor clocks, embedded controllers, static
    RAM modules and USB chips. The company reported $254.4 million in
    revenue for the first quarter of 2004, with $26.5 million in profits.

    CNET News.com recently caught up with Rodgers to get his take on the
    controversies over the expensing of stock options, offshore outsourcing
    and the business climate in California for technology companies.

    Q: John Kerry is denouncing "Benedict Arnold" CEOs who send jobs
    overseas. Is it moral for American companies to increase their overseas
    outsourcing?
    A: It is immoral for any CEO not to run his company in the best possible
    financial way for his shareholders. I used to hold Kerry's naive view of
    the "all American" company, meaning all jobs in America. That was a
    foolish mistake on my part, and it cost my shareholders a lot of money,
    until I moved our entire assembly and test operation and several hundred
    jobs offshore in 1992.

    You're talking about your Philippines operation?
    Yes. To me, it's simply wrong to trash the retirement funds and the
    college funds of my shareholders so that I can wave the American flag
    and talk about keeping jobs in America. We do make all of our chips in
    America, because it's the right thing to do. Americans are good at that.
    A great majority of our engineers are in the United States also, because
    they're the best engineers we can find.

    Do you do your chip manufacturing domestically because of worries about
    intellectual property?
    No. Our engineers are chosen on merit, period. And we therefore have a
    mixture of design engineers who are two-thirds American and one-third
    offshore. A stronger driving force is serving customers. You need to
    have designers in every market in the world you serve so that they can
    make the stuff those customers want. There are local differences.

    Some AFL-CIO activists are pledging to make the offshoring of technology
    jobs a campaign issue this fall.
    The AFL-CIO has been promoting losing economics causes for years. Other
    than the government members of the union, the AFL-CIO has lost pretty
    much all of its membership over the last few decades. The AFL-CIO
    consistently promotes economic policies that harm its own members.

    By that you mean lobbying for short-term benefits at the expense of
    creating long-term problems?
    Yes. Exactly.

    You want to eliminate corporate welfare, including for the
    high-technology industry. In 1999, you told Congress the way to do it
    was simple: Put all pork barrel projects in a single package, and hold
    an up-or-down vote. Everyone ignored you.
    They're not serious at all about eliminating corporate welfare. It's one
    of the most sacred parts of our government system.
    The Democrats also accuse the Republicans of cozying up to business. I
    made my first call to eliminate corporate welfare to the then-new
    Clinton administration. And I was never treated with more hostility than
    by Congresswoman Anna Eshoo, a Democrat from California, and Democrat
    Herbert Klein from New Jersey. Both of them were condescending and
    insulting--beyond just disagreeing with me. Corporate welfare is a
    sacred cow for the Democrats as well as the Republicans.

    Why do so many people living in Silicon Valley seem to support
    Democrats, even when they are the more regulatory of the two major
    parties? In Palo Alto, Mountain View and San Jose, there are two
    registered Democrats for every Republican.
    Two big influences are Stanford University and the University of
    California at Berkeley, both of which are institutions that pour out
    very liberal graduates into our society. A second point is that it's not
    always true that we vote liberal. Ronald Reagan was our governor and a
    very good one.

    What's your opinion of Arnold Schwarzenegger?
    I think his $15 billion bond offering is really screwed up. But I think
    that he's trying to do a good job, and I think he's honest.

    Are you planning to vote for President Bush in November?
    I haven't heard what John Kerry's got to say. I've read a lot of ugly
    stuff about him. I don't follow campaigns. I don't give money to them, I
    don't listen to them--they're a waste of time. Ordinarily, it would be a
    knee-jerk reaction for me to vote for an incumbent Republican, but Bush
    has done a bad enough job that I'll look at all the candidates and make
    a decision.

    Based on what?
    The Republicans are supposed to be a party of free trade and economic
    freedom. Bush has been one of the worst free-trade presidents we've had
    in a long time. He is a big spender who makes Bill Clinton look like a
    penny pincher. I doubt that I'm going to find Kerry to be a viable
    alternative. This year, if the Libertarians put up a non-nut, I may end
    up voting for a Libertarian.

    [...remainder snipped...]

    http://news.com.com/2008-1006_3-5215272.html