[Politech] FBI Director Mueller talks up "importance" of Patriot Act [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 21:48:34 PDT

    http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/mueller052004.htm

    Testimony of Robert S. Mueller, III, Director, Federal Bureau of
    Investigation, Before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary
    May 20, 2004

    PATRIOT ACT

    Mr. Chairman, for over two and a half years, the PATRIOT Act has proved
    extraordinarily beneficial in the war on terrorism and has changed the
    way the FBI does business. Many of our counterterrorism successes, in
    fact, are the direct results of provisions included in the Act, a number
    of which are scheduled to "sunset" at the end of next year. I strongly
    believe it is vital to our national security to keep each of these
    provisions intact. Without them, the FBI could be forced back into
    pre-September 11 practices, attempting to fight the war on terrorism
    with one hand tied behind our backs.

    Let me give you just a few examples that illustrate the importance of
    the PATRIOT Act to our counterterrorism efforts:

    First and foremost, the PATRIOT Act – along with the revision of the
    Attorney General's investigative guidelines and the 2002 decision of the
    Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court of Review – tore down the wall
    that stood between the intelligence investigators responding to
    terrorist threats and the criminal investigators responding to those
    same threats.
     • Prior to September 11, an Agent investigating the intelligence side
    of a terrorism case was barred from discussing the case with an Agent
    across the hall who was working the criminal side of that same
    investigation. For instance, if a court-ordered criminal wiretap turned
    up intelligence information, the criminal investigator could not share
    that information with the intelligence investigator – he could not even
    suggest that the intelligence investigator should seek a wiretap to
    collect the information for himself. If the criminal investigator served
    a grand jury subpoena to a suspect's bank, he could not divulge any
    information found in those bank records to the intelligence
    investigator. Instead, the intelligence investigator would have to issue
    a National Security Letter in order to procure that same information.

    • The removal of the "wall" has allowed government investigators to
    share information freely. Now, criminal investigative information that
    contains foreign intelligence or counterintelligence, including grand
    jury and wiretap information, can be shared with intelligence officials.
    This increased ability to share information has disrupted terrorist
    operations in their early stages -- such as the successful dismantling
    of the "Portland Seven" terror cell -- and has led to numerous arrests,
    prosecutions, and convictions in terrorism cases.

    • In essence, prior to September 11th, criminal and intelligence
    investigators were attempting to put together a complex jigsaw puzzle at
    separate tables. The Patriot Act has fundamentally changed the way we do
    business. Today, those investigators sit at the same table and work
    together on one team. They share leads. They fuse information. Instead
    of conducting parallel investigations, they are fully integrated into
    one joint investigation.

    • Because of the creation of the Terrorist Threat Integration Center,
    and because the FBI has dramatically improved its information sharing
    with the CIA, the NSA, and a host of other federal, state, local and
    international partners, our resources are used more effectively, our
    investigations are conducted more efficiently, and America is
    immeasurably safer as a result. We cannot afford to go back to the days
    when Agents and prosecutors were afraid to share information.

    Second, the PATRIOT Act gave federal judges the authority to issue
    search warrants that are valid outside the issuing judge's district in
    terrorism investigations. In the past, a court could only issue a search
    warrant for premises within the same judicial district – yet our
    investigations of terrorist networks often span multiple districts. The
    PATRIOT Act streamlined this process, making it possible for judges in
    districts where activities related to terrorism may have occurred to
    issue search warrants applicable outside their immediate districts.

    In addition, the PATRIOT Act permits similar search warrants for
    electronic evidence such as email. In the past, for example, if an Agent
    in one district needed to obtain a search warrant for a subject's email
    account, but the Internet service provider (ISP) was located in another
    district, he or she would have to contact an AUSA and Agent in the
    second district, brief them on the details of the investigation, and ask
    them to appear before a judge to obtain a search warrant – simply
    because the ISP was physically based in another district. Thanks to the
    PATRIOT Act, this frustrating and time-consuming process can be averted
    without reducing judicial oversight. Today, a judge anywhere in the U.S.
    can issue a search warrant for a subject's email, no matter where the
    ISP is based.

    Third, the PATRIOT Act updated the law to match current technology, so
    that we no longer have to fight a 21st-century battle with antiquated
    weapons. Terrorists exploit modern technology such as the Internet and
    cell phones to conduct and conceal their activities. The PATRIOT Act
    leveled the playing field, allowing investigators to adapt to modern
    techniques. For example, the PATRIOT Act clarified our ability to use
    court-ordered pen registers and trap-and-trace devices to track Internet
    communications. The Act also enabled us to seek court-approved roving
    wiretaps, which allow investigators to conduct electronic surveillance
    on a particular suspect, not a particular telephone – this allows them
    to continuously monitor subjects without having to return to the court
    repeatedly for additional authorizations. This technique has long been
    used to investigate crimes such as drug trafficking and racketeering. In
    a world in which it is standard operating procedure for terrorists to
    rapidly change locations and switch cell phones to evade surveillance,
    terrorism investigators must have access to the same tools.

    In a final example, the PATRIOT Act expanded our ability to pursue those
    who provide material support or resources to terrorist organizations.
    Terrorist networks rely on individuals for fund-raising, procurement of
    weapons and explosives, training, logistics, and recruiting. The
    material support statutes allow investigators to aggressively pursue and
    dismantle the entire terrorist network, from the financiers to those who
    carry out terrorist plans. By criminalizing the actions of those who
    provide, channel, or direct resources to terrorists, the material
    support statutes provide an effective tool to intervene at the earliest
    possible stage of terrorist planning. This allows the FBI to arrest
    terrorists and their supporters before their deadly plans can be carried
    out.

    For instance, the FBI investigated a case in Charlotte, North Carolina,
    in which a group of Lebanese nationals purchased mass quantities of
    cigarettes in North Carolina and shipped them to Michigan for resale.
    Their scheme was highly profitable due to the cigarette tax disparity
    between the two states. The proceeds of their smuggling were used to
    fund Hezbollah affiliates and operatives in Lebanon. Similarly, the FBI
    investigated a case in San Diego in which subjects allegedly negotiated
    with undercover law enforcement officials the sale of heroin and hashish
    in exchange for Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, which they indicated
    were to be sold to Al Qaida. In both cases, the material support
    provisions allowed prosecutors to charge the subjects and secure guilty
    pleas and convictions.

    Mr. Chairman and Members of the Committee, the importance of the PATRIOT
    Act as a valuable tool in the war against terrorism cannot be
    overstated. It is critical to our present and future success. By
    responsibly using the statutes provided by Congress, the FBI has made
    substantial progress in its ability to proactively investigate and
    prevent terrorism and protect innocent lives, while at the same time
    protecting civil liberties.