[Politech] Why are California politicos justified in restricting Gmail? [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 20:31:50 PDT

    Subject: RE: [Politech] Mercury News editorial on California anti-Gmail
    bi ll, revised [priv]
    Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:38:29 -0700
    From: Satchell, Bill <BSatchell@private>
    To: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan@private>

    Declan:

    It offends me that California -- ostensibly to protect someone's privacy --
    would limit the products that may be offered by Google or any other vendor.
    It might be appropriate for California to mandate complete disclosure of
    product features, but the intrusion on privacy that I resent is California's
    interference with my right to contract with Google or any other vendor on
    the terms that have been completely disclosed.  Sadly, I perceive very
    little difference in the attitude towards civil liberties afforded by this
    legislation and that evidenced by the abysmal record of the Bush
    Administration.

    Bill Satchell
    Washington, D.C. 20006-4001
    bsatchell@private